• What are some social and economical
reasons why there is a greater need
for early childhood education? (3)
• What characteristics do you have
that are good to have when working
with young children? (5)
Human Development II
Learning Objective: Students will compare
and contrast various childhood careers and
consider the characteristics needed to
care for and teach children.
You: Working with Young Children
FCS Standards: Child Development 1
Early Childhood Careers:
Are they for you??
• What is early childhood?
– The period of time from birth to age 9
– Involves many rapid changes
• Is a career in early childhood for you?
• changes in social/economic conditions creating
the need for early childhood
• if you have the characteristics needed to work
in the field
Social and Economic
– Families are no longer “traditional”
• Employers’ Attitudes
– Corporations are supporting child care moregood for them and employees
– There is a greater need for quality early
childhood education. Is this happening in our
Career Opportunities in
• Nannies and Au Pairs
– Nanny-provides care in a child’s home.
– Au Pair-person from a foreign country who
lives with a family and performs tasks
similar to a nanny. In exchange for room,
board, and transportation, they provide
child care and may do housework.
• Early Childhood Assistant and
– May be required by state for ratios
– May not require a degree, but might
have a CDA credential or associate
degree. Many students work in this
• Child Care Teachers and Directors
– Teacher takes care of the curriculum, director
supervises, markets, hires, etc.
• Family Child Care Home
– Done from the home. Why might this be a good
opportunity for a young mother?
• Licensing Specialist
– Works for state, visits centers to assure
children are being cared for in a healthy and
Even More Opportunities
Social Worker, Therapist
Entrepreneur-person who creates
and runs their own business
Education and Training
• Child Development Associate
– Nationally Recognized
– Requires post-secondary courses in child
– Must be 18 and have a high school
– Must also have a minimum number of
hours of child care experience
• May need a 2-year associates degree
– If teacher has a 2-year or bachelor’s
degree in early childhood ed., CDA
credential may not be required.
• Some positions may require a
• Requirements differ from state to
The Teacher’s Responsibilities
• The responsibilities are varied. They are
challenging and rewarding.
Know how children grow and develop
Plan a developmentally appropriate curriculum
Prepare the environment
Participate in Professional Organizations
Follow ethical standards
• Ethics-guiding set of moral principles
– Continue to learn
Fondness for children
Sense of Humor
Physical and Mental Health
• Write a paragraph describing which
career in early childhood education
you are interested in? Which of your
personal characteristics would help
you be successful in this career?