M'sia Digital Scene - APRC 2013 Summit, Bankok.

497 views

Published on

This is a presentation on The Digital Scene in M'sia. I presented this during the Asia Pacific Research Committee Summit in Bangkok.

Published in: Lifestyle, Business, Technology
1 Comment
1 Like
Statistics
Notes
No Downloads
Views
Total views
497
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
14
Comments
1
Likes
1
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

M'sia Digital Scene - APRC 2013 Summit, Bankok.

  1. 1. APRC 2013 Summit Meeting Grand Millennium Sukhumvit Bangkok THAILAND MALAYSIA DIGITAL SCENE Presented by : Barry Ooi Date : 1st Nov. 2013
  2. 2. Presentation Content The infrastructure • internet • online behaviour Mobile • mobile penetration • mobile usage behaviour Conclusion
  3. 3. Growing internet population Internet Users - Malaysia • Indonesia : 55 mil. • Philippines : 34 mil. • Thailand : 20 mil. • Vietnam : 31 mil. • South Korea : 40 mil. 16.8 • Japan : 101 mil. 16.6 • China : 538 mil. 16.4 • India : 137 mil. in millions 17.8 17.7 17.6 17.4 17.2 16.9 17 2011 2012 Source: Internet World Stats. - June 2012
  4. 4. M’sia has a relatively high level of internet penetration amongst Asian countries Internet Penetration - Selected Asian Countries 82.5% South Korea 79.5% Japan 75.0% Singapore 60.7% Malaysia 40.1% China 33.9% Vietnam 32.4% Philippines 30.0% Thailand 22.1% Indonesia 11.4% India 0.0% 10.0% 20.0% 30.0% Source: Internet World Stats., June 2012 40.0% 50.0% 60.0% 70.0% 80.0% 90.0%
  5. 5. Increasing penetration Internet Penetration - Malaysia 60.7% 61.0% 60.0% 58.8% 59.0% 58.0% 57.0% 2011 Source: Internet World Stats., June 2012 2012
  6. 6. M’sia’s internet speed lagging behind kbps 10X slower than S’pore 3X slower than World average 3X slower than China S’pore : 50,290 kbps S. Korea : 44,929 kbps Japan : 39,022 kbps UK : 22,345 kbps US : 19,870 kbps World : 15,254 kbps China : 14,928 kbps Thai : 12,998 kbps Viet : 12,328 kbps M’sia : 4,830 kbps Source: Google Analytics
  7. 7. Internet users across all ages except those 55+ 37% Online Population 28% 26% 24% General Population 22% 18% 16% 15% 10% 6% 15 - 24 yrs 25 - 34 yrs 35 - 44 yrs Sources: comScore & Dept. of Stats. M’sia 45 - 54 yrs 55+ yrs
  8. 8. M’sian’s are pretty engaged on the internet, although not as much as the Vietnamese and Thai’s Average Time Spent Online Per Week (hrs.) abt. 2½ hrs daily Source: comScore Media Metrix, March 2013
  9. 9. Spends a large part of their online time on social networking Source: comScore Media Metrix, March 2013
  10. 10. Top 20 Internet Sites Used by M’sians Driving values: (1) free internet service (2) online marketplace (3) convenience (4) news (5) entertaintment & leisure
  11. 11. Despite growing digital platforms, traditional media still dominates the reach Daily time spent TV : almost 4 hours daily Newspapers : 37 minutes Online : 2½ hrs Source: Nielsen TAM; Nielsen Consumer & Media View 2012
  12. 12. Advertisers are responding to this trend Source: Nielsen Advertising Information Services (AIS)
  13. 13. Government support M’sia Social Media Week An event supported by Malaysia’s Ministry of Information, Communication and Culture Conference on emerging trends in social and mobile media
  14. 14. It’s a mobile country Mobile subscription per 100 inhabitants is 141% Fixed line per 100 inhabitants is 16% Sources: International Telecom Union & MCMC - Handphone 2012 Users Survey
  15. 15. Sleeping with the phone 77% leaves the phone on even while asleep 23% switches off before retiring for the night Sources: MCMC - Handphone 2012 Users Survey
  16. 16. Increasing trend for smartphones Sources: MCMC - Handphone 2012 Users Survey
  17. 17. Access internet via smartphone Almost 70% of smartphone users access the internet through their smartphones Sources: MCMC - Handphone 2012 Users Survey
  18. 18. Appetite for mobile apps 35% : downloaded 10-20 mobile apps 16% : downloaded 20 – 30 mobile apps 7%: downloaded 30 – 40 mobile apps 4%: downloaded 40 – 50 mobile apps 1%: downloaded 50 – 60 mobile apps Sources: MCMC - Handphone 2012 Users Survey
  19. 19. Malaysia Digital Scene - Conclusion Digital marketing ripe for take-off Infrastructure 1. High internet penetration rate, currently at 60% an growing 2. National broadband penetration will reach 100% by 2015 3. Smartphones will reach close to 50% by 2015 Consumer Ready 1. Big social media fans; top amongst top 15 globally on FB penetration 2. Amongst top 20 sites visited, 10 are local sites 3. Four of the top 20 sites visited are national news websites Digital Activity 1. Most companies have embrace digital 2. Strong government imperative & support 3. Many digital associations and working groups actively promoting digital including E&T
  20. 20. THANK YOU barry.ooi@potentiateglobal.com

×