OK so I’m going to talk about some trends I think we’ll see in digital marketing in the next few years. I’ll show some examples of what brands are doing today to innovate which I expect to become the main stream sooner than later.
This might look ridiculous, but to put it in context lets have a look at the speed of change we are seeing
Question – what is that? A Ferrari 488 GTB, which sells at From £182,809 (and magnitude could probably get you finance at £500 per month…) Anyone want to take a guess at how many new Ferraris were sold last year world wide? What is interesting is how much they floated for on the NYSE last year for – which is a business valuation150x the annual profits. So what are investors looking to buy and where will they get value?
Well there will be more of these to come – regular road going Ferraris, undoubtedly hybrids/full electic and undeoubtly full connected to the internet They will continue to make money from people like this chap…. However they will also look to build the brand into an experience – this is Ferrari world in Dubai, 2 more on the way in Barcelona & China. Where the true brand innovation is coming from will be a strategy Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne, has set out to become a luxury goods brand on a level with Hermes or Prada Obviously they need to square the circle with the guy above if they want to move from being see as selling caps and t-shirts to £2,000 watches
Ex duris gloria: from suffering arises glory Launched 2004 Makes and retails high end cycling equipment Expanded from retail to set up clubs across the world
Future Trends in Digital marketing
Future trends in Digital
August 6th, 1991
The past, the present….
First website goes
First PPC ads
(But It’s Not Google)
ads tops $2bn for
the first time
Ad spend on
overtake TV in
US with $72bn
WhatsApp for $19bn.
Zuckerberg thinks it
can go from 450m
user to 1bn ‘a few
It takes less than 2 and
there are currently
messages per day
The Anbot – Shanghai Airport
Source: The Shanghaiist
• What is a bot?
• Software applications that run automated tasks
• Why are they a big deal?
• The idea of a bot is to speed up and automate day to day
tasks by finding, storing and serving up useful bits of
• Why are they a big deal now?
• At the recent Developer conference, Facebook announced
they were letting chatbots into Facebook Messenger
• What does that mean for marketing?
• It means we have another way to interact with customer of
a brand.. And customers will expect to interact…
Rise of AI in marketing
Following 3,100 influencers via Bot
Raising awareness of alcoholism in the young
1. SEO needs to change to adapt content for voice
activated intelligent search
– Invest in informative content – video, personalized & social
2. Huge amounts of data.
– IPAs will connect to multiple devices in the household and
– That data will tell us a LOT about our customers.
3. Systems will start to anticipate customer behavior
– Just in time marketing will come of age
What will this mean in the future?
• The brands that we will market in the future won’t just
sell products or services, but interconnected
• Expectations of customers grow continuously and
brands that aren’t at the front will fade away
• This is happening now though, and will only increase
in the future
Brands will continue to innovate
Awareness Consideration Purchase Service Loyalty
How customer journeys used to be
Word of mouth
Browse in store
Buy in store
Return items to store
Todays customer journeys
Awareness Consideration Purchase Service Loyalty
Call centreDirect mail
script their own journey
• We need to be on our A game all the time to service
them on their terms
• The customers dictate the terms of engagement, they
expect us (or our Bot) to be there 24/7/365
• They know how to kick up a stink or lavish us with
• Online has created markets in every vertical
– When did a client last say “We don’t operate in a competitive
What does that mean for us?
• You have grown up as digital natives
• Your smart phone is welded to your hand
• You’ll use it to tap into AI to get to your favorite brands
• These brands will have to work harder to engage with
• And when they do, you’ll be in control of the journey
• So we really need to think hard about how to market
And why are you so important
Millennials trust strangers over family and friends. They lean on
User-Generated Experiences for purchase decisions.
Source Brian Solis’ Future of Business, 2013
Only 1% of Millennials said that a compelling advertisement
would make them trust a brand more
Source: Elite Daily
Treat Yo Self
While millennials save an
impressive amount each month
they still enjoy the finer things in
Amount spent by millennial shoppers in
the US in 2015 - $600bn.
Forecast amount spent by millennial
shoppers in the US in 2020 - $1.3tn
Millennials involved in making 73% of B2B
How millennials currently interact with Vendors and how they
would prefer to in the future
• Rise of AI in marketing
– Bots, just-in-time marketing, use of Siri/Cortana
• Brands continue to innovate
– Pressure from consumers will heap pressure on brands to
raise their game, need to find new ways to create value
• Optimised customer journeys
– Consumers will discover, engage and embrace a brand on
their terms – we need to optimise throughout this journey
• Millennials spending power and influence grows
Ok, so what’s the take out?