Moving Forward going back
10th November 2014
• 2 –Speed ITSM?
• What are practitioners, CIOs, IT Customers saying?
• Back to basics
• Moving Forward
2 speed ITSM?
There is a real dichotomy between futurist scenarios and
the day-to-day realities of real ITSM practitioners…
What are practitioners saying?
We need practical help – often with basic ITSM stuff
We need to be doing work that's relevant for the business
How do we engage?
Where do we start?
How do we react to the new challenges and 'messages'
from the industry?
What are CIOs saying?
• How can we be ‘easy to do business with?’
• How to show value back for what we do
• Get the e2e processes across lifecycles integrated seamlessly
• Service Catalog – need to implement
• Trusting the data produced by ITSM processes and Tools
• Are our metrics set right…?
• How to develop agile development and lean into ITIL framework
• Get higher efficiency via automation
What are IT Customers saying?
Too much senior focus on technical detail and
Defensive, over protective ‘old IT’ approach
Lack of relationship – need to get out and talk/listen
Poor communications across management and
Lack of valuable Management Information – or clear
targets/service criteria to measure
Metric What Threshold Weighting
SLA Incident/fix =None per
Availability Key apps – HR +
Payroll apps+ Email
Customer Satisfaction Weekly review Target 90% 10%
NPS/KCI Weekly review Target 90% 10%
Key Metric – Moment
Month end billing 100%
CUSTOMER - SERVICE B
Customer Reporting bundle
• Specialist technical skills
• Organisational change and people development
• Key business knowledge/skills
• Contract and supplier management
• Supply and demand management
• Marketing and communications
• Relationship management
• Contract negotiation
New IT Skills
Why this 2 speed industry?
• Varying levels of focus and maturity – organisations and
• Real differences in focus – sector/size
• Post ITIL-hype world
• ITIL world still going
• New ideas given wide and fast coverage
• People do make choices
• There are real changes
Back 2 basics moving forward
There is a gap and the world is changing fast
We can’t ignore change and new ways of working
We survive, do what we need to do, sometimes get lucky
We need to focus on what’s important
We also need to do the basic stuff properly
Engage with our customers and keep current..!
Thank you for