B: Finding Words
Read Part One again and find words with these meanings:
1. the number of people living in a place
2. peaceful and beautiful
3. an attack on something
4. separate, far from other people
C: Reading And Thinking
Read these questions about Part One and answer them.
1. Why does the article talk about the population of the village and what it is like in this
article? (Hint: look at the title of the article and also the numbers in the article.)
2. Why does the coach say that you can't hide the Brazilian team?
D: True Or False
Read Part Two of the article and say whether these sentences are True or False.
1. Most of the best teams in the world let reporters watch them train.
2. The Brazilian coach believes it would be a silly idea to stop the media from watching
3. If people watching the training sessions get too excited, they may not be allowed to
watch any more.
4. The Brazilian coach believes that the place where the crowd will watch from will be
too close to the team.
5. The players will probably be able to hear what people in the crowd are shouting.
EGGIS, Switzerland, May 24 (Reuters) -
hile many of the world's top teams keep
he media away from their practice
essions, Brazil have always been
efreshingly open at both national and club
arreira said it would be pointless to shut
ut the media and public. "Everyone knows
ur players and what they're capable of," he
ut he warned that if the fans got too
oisterous, he would consider the drastic
ove of keeping out the public. "As long
razilian media, however, have already
peculated that the stands are much too
lose to the field.
he stands have been built less than two
etres from the touchlines which means
hat almost any remark shouted from the
rowd can be heard by the players.
arreira, however, prefers to take all the
ttention as a compliment. "If you look at
he tradition, history and quality of our
layers, they are the best players. They
ave the best skills and the best technique,"
TEACHERS' NOTES AND ANSWER KEY
A: Discussion - Notes
If your students know very little about soccer, you may prefer to instead ask them to brainstorm what they
do know instead of answering these questions.
Answers will probably vary for the questions.
A: Comprehension - Answers
1. In the village of Weggis in Switzerland.
2. To prepare for the World Cup.
3. 12 days
4. 6 times
5. In an arena that has been built specially for them.
6. A crowd of 5,000 people, 800 media representatives, and anyone who wants to watch them on television
back in Brazil.
B: Finding Words - Answers
1. population, 2. idyllic, 3. assault, 4. isolated.
C: Reading And Thinking - Suggested Answers
1. The village would be a perfect place for a vacation but it will be very different while the Brazilians are
staying there. It only has a population of 4,000, but at least 5,000 people will be watching the Brazilians
train. The article contrasts the normal character of the village with what is happening now.
2. Because they are so popular that everyone who likes soccer is interested in them. Wherever they went
before the World Cup, they would be found by their fans and the media.
D: True Or False - Answers
1. F (many of them bar the media), 2. T, 3. T, 4. F (The media have said this. There is no comment from the
coach.) 5. T.