Krystee Dryer's Neat Tricks with Conent Types presentation from the 2012 Drupal Capital Camp in Washington DC http://www.capitalcamp.org/content/neat-tricks-content-types
We all know about content types and how to use them, but it is amazing how a different look at content types can transform your site and add many more possibilities.
In this session, you will learn fun tricks and tips to use content types to their full capacity. Here are some of the ideas that will be discussed:
• What making your home page its own content type can do for you
• How archiving, workflow, and revisioning can be done with whole pages (not just some elements on a page)
• How you can use one field to select elements like events or callouts to appear to quickly modify your pages
• How you can work with multiple dates on nodes and use them in a logical way (views sorting, displaying)
• What you can do with fields in the Display Suite module – even with fields not in your content types
• What you can do with to case studies to showcase your projects
• How you can add styling options to your slideshows to empower your clients/site admins to add new slides with custom text overlays and pagers.