What is ruumz?
What makes it different from other social
• Emphasizes more onto the local population.
• Blogs are inputted into ruumz itself without users
going onto separate sites to view ruumates blogs.
• Not only just a social networking platform, rather
it sustains a lifestyle.
• Due to the sheer volume in users from Facebook
or Myspace, it is hard to provide everybody with
an equal opportunity to win something.
• Interesting concepts with ruumzRewards of
giving back to ruumz users depending on how
they interact with the site.
• ruumzRewards provides an equal opportunity
for users to win rewards compared to the likes
of Facebook whereby you have to obtain
ridiculous high scores on games or compete
on a game of chance with millions of users.
Sustaining a Lifestyle
• ruumz sustains our lifestyle by including
applications that will not directly interfere rather
it supports it, and makes it more enjoyable.
Here are the application which enables ruumz to do
• Shopping ruum
• Music ruum
• Print photos
How should ruumz be positioned in
the current market?
• ruumz is still considered very small within the
realms of social networking sites compared to the
likes of Twitter and Facebook, however ruumz
provides applications which makes it unique, and
more adaptable to our everyday lives.
• Position wise in the current market, ruumz would
be place below the likes of Facebook and
Myspace, however it has applications that
enables it to branch out of the social networking
mould and place itself into a niche market of its
If you had one tagline for ruumz, what
would it be?
• Feeling lonely? Why not come into my ruumz.
What are the key areas of
• Possible areas to explore would be to input games or
any other forms of interactive applications.
• Games on Facebook such as Texas HoldEm Poker
(22,956,145 monthly active users and increasing)
proves to be incredibly popular as well as popularizes
• TV series are highly popular with people of all ages
especially the Generation Y market.
• Statistics have mentioned that series such as ‘MTV's
The Hills, which has more than 4.5 million weekly
viewers’ (http://www.huffingtonpost.com, 2010).
• With such a large audience market for TV series, what
ruumz can provide is a section within the ruumz site
whereby users will be able to watch whatever or the
latest TV series of their liking.
• http://www.ninjavideo.net/ is a site whereby users are
able to stream whatever is on TV from TV series to
• An improvement would be to implement an
application similar to what http://www.ninjavideo.net/
provides onto the ruumz site because it is such a
lucrative market that needs to be tapped into.
• Shopping ruumz only restricted to West
• Improvements can be is to expand the
opportunities of Shopping ruumz to the whole
of Malaysia and possibly worldwide.
What are the areas of weaknesses?
• The likes of Facebook, Twitter and MySpace still
hold domination over the social networking
• Difficult to convert users in signing up for
something that is lesser known compared to
what they currently are using.
• Since ruumz only targets the local population, the
market is limited.
• If ruumz was to become the most popular social
network in Malaysia, What next? Go global?
• The applications ruumz provides in supporting a
lifestyle is what defines ruumz, however it proves to be
inflexible if ruumz was to aim for the global market.
• Supporting a lifestyle is what defines ruumz. The
problem with this is that applications will stay put, but
it will have to be different to suit each countries needs.
• A lot more spending will be needed for example
acquiring DJ’s for ruumz.FM
• What can be done is not to act on it, but keep it in
• Make ruumz more usable to overseas users.
What is ruumzcauses?
What it is?
• ruumzcauses is a portal in which charities are
being supported though donations or in
ruumzspeak, virtual hearts.
• Users can purchase a range of virtual hearts
that can cost from RM1 to RM100 (depending
how charitable you are).
• This will then be converted into
How is it different from Facebook
• The sheer amount of causes is what separates
Facebook to ruumz.
• Right now ruumz concentrates solely on local
causes whereas Facebook supports worldwide
• ruumz provides images and video within each
cause whereas Facebook does not provide such
detailed information of each cause.
• What images and videos provide to users is that it
makes (in our case) causes more personal and
touching so that we’ll feel
How is it different to other main online
• Right now ruumz currently donates within the
realms of the local population.
• ruumz is able to customize how much they can
• Very appealing concept of virtual hearts acquired
when you donate which will also show on your
ruumz profile page.
• Main online charity portals provide an
opportunity to non-profit organizations, and also
to bigger companies
What are ruumzcauses strengths?
• ruumzcauses provides an opportunity for
normal everyday users to make a difference
(no matter how big or small) within the
• Since ruumz concentrates on the local
population, ruumzcauses plays off from the
desired target population.
What are the weaknesses?
• The lack in diversity of causes worldwide and
also lack of actual causes to support locally are
• A similar trend between Facebook and ruumz
is that there is a lot of information written
about a cause.
• This is great in informing what the cause
about, however it doesn’t create the much
needed impact among users.
Groups in ruumz
What are the strengths?
• Visible tab where you can go to check out the
various amount of groups in ruumz.
• Facebook does not provide this visual benefit,
instead you’ll have search for a group or receive
an invitation from it.
• On the ruumz group page, visually it is very well
organized because the groups are well
categorized for example ‘Most popular groups’.
groups thus easier to
Have to go through
the step of typing
‘groups’ on the
What are the areas that need
• Within the group pages itself, I found a certain
tool quite confusing.
• There’s the ‘Group Chat’ box and the ‘Comments’
box which is probably not needed.
• There is already the Chat ruum application
whereby everybody can chat.
• Don’t think it is necessary to have two boxes of
discussions because it seems too cluttered.
• Confusing for users because they will have to go
through the thought process of which box to
write their opinions in.
What can groups be used for by online
• Groups provides the opportunity to unite people
of different backgrounds under a single interest.
• Provides an opportunity to network with others
for the benefits of expanding your social
horizons, benefits for businesses wanting to
• People aspiring to become famous might want to
create a group of themselves in order to create a
What are the key target markets that can use
groups the best and generate eyeballs and
membership in ruumz?
• Key target markets that can use groups the best
would be the Generation Y target market.
• To have a great impact and generate eyeballs,
what can be done is for ruumz to host a large
event (preferably in a club), ask popular
musicians to perform (if possible) and just let
people have a good time.
• There will be a positive image of rummz among
potential users, and among current users they
will probably be proud of what ruumz can
achieve and ask friends to join them.
• Celebrities all around the world often have
large fan bases thus ruumz must capitalize on
• What can be done to raise awareness of
ruumz and increase its membership would be
to sponsor Malaysian celebrities to join
ruumz, talk about it etc.
• The generation of ‘Tweenies’ is a highly demanding
market and is the next generation of consumers.
• Aged 3 – 13 and with massive buying power from their
• Looking at the recent ‘successes’ of the Twilight
franchise (despite it being one of the worst book
adaptations ever) it still has earned more than half a
billion dollars despite heavy criticism.
• What ruumz should do is not only target the
Generation Y market, but to also consider providing
options for the ‘Tweenie’ market.
Tweenies Market Continued…
• In order to capitalize on this market, what can
be proposed is to create a section in ruumz
that is customized just for kids.
• The interface of ruumz can be slightly changed
to appeal to the younger target market.
(possibly more cartoons and animations?)
• Interactive kids games is highly popular.
• Kids TV shows such as Disney channel or
Nickelodeon as well.
• The implementation of IPTV and ruumz is an
excellent idea, and perfect.
• Possible tweaks for this would be inputting
• Karaoke is highly popular all over Asia, and
Malaysia is no different.
• Inputting content such a karaoke onto the
IPTV/ruumz collaboration will definitely reach
an untapped market.
• Celebrities are known to have a fan base no
matter how big or small they are.
• They are able to create a buzz on the product
they are sponsoring.
• To capitalize on this, ruumz can ask local
• Wear the rummz products to a event?
• Ask them to be a ruumate?
• Known to have birthdates ranging somewhere
from the mid 1970’s to the early 2000’s.
• Known to have an increased use and familiarity
with communications, media and digital
• Currently the majority of ruumzsters are of
Generation Y heritage.
• ‘As of December 2007, blog search engine
Technorati was tracking more than 112,000,000
blogs’ (www.wikipedia.com, 2010)
• As seen from the statistics, blogs and bloggers are heavily
viewed by Generation Y viewers.
• They play a major influence on the perception of the subject
whether it being a product etc.
• Can influence whether the subject/product is worth it or not.
• Likewise with celebrity sponsorship, ruumz should target
these bloggers to create an account on ruumz.
• Instead of having to create a blog on a separate site
(www.blogspot.com), rummz provides bloggers the
opportunity to interact with the rummz website and at the
same time they are able to blog via the ‘myBlog’ application.
• Since Facebook is so widely used and so well
rounded it is difficult to ask potential users
(who are already using Facebook, Twitter etc.)
to join ruumz.
• rummz already has a group page in Facebook,
what can be further done is to increase the
presence of ruumz within Facebook.
How to increase the presence of
• Creating a ruumz application on Facebook, in the form
of a game.
• As we all know, ruumz is not just another Facebook but
different in many ways through ruumz.FM, videoruum,
print photos etc.
• However through the eyes of potential users, ruumz is
just another Facebook.
• What we can do is by creating a game application on
Facebook, we can implement the applications that
defines ruumz (print photos etc.) onto this game.
• The game will be fun and interactive whilst still keeping
that direction in promoting these lifestyle applications.
• Within this game there would be heavy emphasis on
the rummz brand.
• The rummz logo should be place everywhere. (Not too
much because we do not want to suffocate potential
users or present to them that we are desperate).
• In order to create an incentive for users to play the
game, we should provide prizes such as (t-shirts,
• To acquire these prizes, users will have to access the
ruumz site and create an account.
• Users will have to sign up in order to have a chance to
win ruumz prizes.
Effects on potential users
• Increase awareness of ruumz through the use
• Highlight the applications that makes ruumz
unique to potential users.
• Increase the amount of users in ruumz
because they will have to sign up to win
• Firstly the concepts of ruumz is basically that everybody is
living under one roof, and each of us has our own separate
ruumz (profile pages).
• Why take the literal meaning of this concept and place it
into a virtual world?
• This can be a long term project ruumz can consider.
• Create a virtual world for ruumz whereby ruumzsters are
able to interact with each users via the use of 3D or 2D
• Ruumzsters will be able to meet other users, participate in
individual and group activies, buy and sell goods
(ruumzbazaar), enter datingruumz to have a private session
with your partner etc.)
This is a screenshot of Second Life. What I can see from Virtualruumz is
something similar to this whereby avatars are able to travel to each others ruumz
profiles in the form of actual rooms, travel to other areas whereby they can
interact with other ruumzsters etc.
Cons of Virtualruumz
• The downside of this is that the whole ethos
of ruumz being able to support a lifestyle will
be thrown away instead it will take it over.
• Large cost to the project.
• Large amounts of man power. (3D graphic
• A very similar concept to Facebook’s ‘Marketplace’,
however ruumz will just limit it to the local population.
• How to make this different ‘Marketplace’ is to not only
provide a service for users to buy and sell products, but
• There is a major push for ruumzcauses so what can be
done to link rummzbazaar with rummzcauses.
• Whatever users have earned from whatever they are
selling they will be able to have the opportunity to
donate their earnings to whichever ruumzcauses they
choose to do so.
• Like the print photo the delivery service can
be used for transactions between ruumzsters
so that we will not need to burden them with
• The main aim of datingruumz is create a space
whereby privacy is the main incentive.
• Not only would it target ruumates in
relationships, but it would look to aim
ruumates in long distance relationships.
• Datingruumz is a room specially made for the
privacy of couples.
• This room enables the couple to watch a movie
together at the same time, but different
• The enabling of webcams and also microphone
will make the experience more authentic.
• The Datingruumz experience will also provide the
couples the opportunity to send an array of
things from flowers to chocolates right at their