Mobile World Congress 2015 Highlights by Modirates
IMPORTANT HIGHLIGHTS BY MODIRATES.COM
Smart Phones &Tablets
Wearables & Hearables
Robots & Emotional Interfaces
Virtual & Augmented Reality
• Every year, we see less smart phones & Tablets in mwC.This year, samsung launched galaxy s6 and s6 edge, while
htc announced HTC One m9 but the most interesting devices in this segment were Jolla tablet, black phone 2 and
• On the other hand, we see more wearables & Hearables, VR Head sets in the show this year. the important detail
was, fashion brands were showcasing this year with their designs and partnerships with tech companies.
• In payments area, Samsung Pay was the biggest announcement. Google announced their new platform Android Pay
and Paypal announced the acquisition of paydiant.All send a clear message to Apple:“you are not alone in this space”
• Smart cars, bicycles are announced as the connected smart solutions and underlined the importance of the
connected ecosystem and internet of things.
• Robots & emotional interfaces seems to be the new trend in product and service design.
APPLE PAY COMPETITOR ANNOUNCED
Samsung has announced Samsung Pay, its mobile payment system
which allows Samsung owners to pay for goods and services by waving
the phone instead of swiping the credit card.
• Samsung Pay will be coming with Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge
this summer in the US and South Korea.
• Samsung Pay uses NFC as Apple Pay does with eligible POS
terminals, but also, it is using LoopPay’s Magnetic Secure
Transmission Technology, that works by holding the phone near
a traditional card swipe reader, essentially making it backward
compatible for nearly all payment terminals.
• Samsung Pay is eligible to be used in 30 million POS terminals
all around the World.
• Samsung Pay will not work on previous devices as they don’t have LoopPay support.
• Samsung Pay is working similar to Apple Pay for users. Users swipe their ﬁngers from bottom to top on their phone’s screen (even the
phone is locked),Than select your card and use ﬁngerprint to activate the service. Once these steps are done, you bring your phone
close to the POS terminal and make the payment.
• Samsung Pay keeps 16 digit card number encrypted on the device, as LoopPay is not supporting tokenization, yet. As a mid term
solution, transaction tokens is being used for the service. Samsung is still in talks with Visa and MasterCard to increase the security of the
solution by tokenizing the card number as Apple Pay does.
NOT A SERVICE,A COMPLETE PLATFORM
After Samsung Pay announcement, Google Announced their
new payment platform Android Pay in MWC. Google has also
announced their partnership with major Telco Operators
AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile to brought Android Pay pre-
installed in Android Devices.
• Android Pay announced as a platform, rather than a
service compared to Apple Pay and Samsung Pay.
Application developers will be able to add Android Pay
as a payment tool through their applications.
• Android Pay also targets merchants and enables
Android Devices to accept payments in the stores.
• Google announced that, Android Pay will work similar
to Apple Pay for the end users. This means, reaching
Android pay will be easy, enabling will be done with
ﬁngerprint and payment will be done through NFC.
PAYPAL ACQUIRES PAYDIANT
ANDROID PAY IS NOT ALONE
Google announced Android Pay as a platform rather than
a service. PayPal answered that move by acquiring
Paydient, to become a real payment platform for
developers and merchants with enhanced value added
services like loyalty…
• Paydiant was born in 2010 and was enabling brands
to integrate payment systems to their mobile
services. Also it was providing mobile wallet
solutions to Walmart,Target and Exxon.
• With this acquisition, merchants will be able to
launch their own digital wallets with built in loyalty
• PayPal announced that, Paypal here will work with
password login and bluetooth integration to enable
NFC for in store payments. PayPal here was
announced as Square competitor and will be
available in UK and Australia this summer; in US in
the last quarter.
ORDER PIZZA WHILE DRIVING
BYVISA- PIZZA HUT- ACCENTURE
Visa Inc., Pizza Hut and Accenture announced they are working
together to develop a proof-of-concept connected car to test
mobile and online purchases on the go. The connected car is
expected to feature Visa Checkout, Visa’s online payment
service, cellular connectivity, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), as well
as Beacon technology deployed at Pizza Hut restaurants to
alert staff when the customer has arrived and is ready to pick
up the order.
• Visa Checkout will be used with Voice Control to make the
purchase while driving.
• Pizza Hut will be providing the menu, restaurant locations,
delivery and pick up options on the car application
• Accenture is developing the in car application,Visa checkout
integration, Cellular and Bluetooth connectivity for the
CAR OFTHE FUTURE
QUALCOMM AND MASERATI SHOWCASES
Qualcomm and Maserati developed a concept car for the future to
showcase the next generation connected car concept.
• The car has Snapdragon 602A automobile OS, Qualcomm 3G/
4G LTE Router, Qualcomm VIVE Bluetooth connectivity and WiFi,
Qualcomm iZat location services and Qualcomm WiPower
cordless charging unit.
• The car has multiple cameras on each side, which enables
customers to view and recognize all moving and stable objects
around the car for creating extra safety while driving and parking.
• All passengers in the car are able to use Wi-Fi connectivity inside
• All the systems in the car can be controlled by voice commands.
• Laptop, mobile phone and tablet screens can be shared with the
car’s interactive screens. Android devices can be controlled
through these screens.
E-BICYCLE WITH SMART CENCORS
It is not only about smart cars, it is all about smart transportation and
Ford is aware of that.They showed their e-bicycle this year in MWC.
• MoDe:Me has an iPhone application which has navigation, direction
support, easy cycling mode and Ford Sync connectivity. The app
also measures heart rate and enables easy cycling mode which
provides higher speed with less effort.
• The bicycle is developed with Dahon, reaches 25km/hr
• The bicycle is portable and easy to cary & handle.
• Users can charge their iPhone while driving the bicycle.
• The navigation support is providing alternative routes as well as
short cuts and interest points on the route.
• Works with Android Wear.
• Has the brightest and highest resolution screen 1.4 inch 400x400 AMOLED screen.
• Health support is provided by Jawbone and FitBit
LG Watch Urbane
• Works with Android Wear.
• Has P-OLED touch screen, uses Snapdragon 400
• Uses Google’s Gear Fit for health data.
• Rounded screen and thick body makes it looks like a classical luxury watch.
• Colored E-Ink Screen, up to 7 days battery life
• Only smart watch supporting both iOS and Android
• PebbleTime Steel is a complete Apple Watch competitor
WHO WILL WINTHE BATTLE?
HTC +VALVE = REVIVE
NEW DIMENSIONTOVIRTUAL REALITY
HTC announced their new virtual reality head set with their
statement “FINALLY,THE FUTURE”
• HTC partnered with Valve, who has an amazing game
content as they already have SteamVR. Gaming is
considered as the most effective sector for the
augmented reality head sets.
• RE Vive carries 70 censors and enabling 360 degree
viewing. This gives the users, who is wearing the head
set the ability to view full 360 degree view and close to
a true real world experience.
• REVive has no smart phone dependency and this gives it a real advantage compared to the rivals, Samsung’s SamsungVR.
• HTC announced content partnership with giant gaming and media companies like Cloudhead Games, Dovetail Games,
Fireproof Games,Vertigo Games, Steel Wool Games, Bossa Studios
• HTC will release the developer kit in fall,2015 and the ﬁnal product is expected to be launched on holiday season at the end
of the year.
QUALCOMM INTRODUCES SENSE ID
SCANNING FINGERPRINT WITH SOUND WAVE
Qualcomm will provide more security on touch ID with their
new product: Snapdragon Sense ID. Sense ID is using sound
waves for 3D mapping of your ﬁngerprint.
• Although Apple and Samsung have already launched
Touch ID through their mobile devices, it is known that
hacking these solutions is hard but not impossible.
• Snapdragon Sense ID is measuring the dips and mounds
on the ﬁnger to measure and copy the ﬁngerprint more
• Also the materials of the touch censor is not important
for Sense ID, which makes device manufacturers to be
more ﬂexible in terms of designing the devices.
• Qualcomm declared that Sense ID will be seen on the
new devices later this year. But Apple and Samsung are
not using Qualcomm so we won’t be seeing this product
on iPhones or Galaxy devices. But, for sure, similar
solutions will be used by Apple and Samsung in the near
5 ADTRENDS ON MOBILE
1. Android Gets Most MobileTrafﬁc But Apple GetsThe Spend
For Q4 of 2014,Android saw the majority (63%) of mobile ad trafﬁc over
that period, with more than six in 10 ad impressions served on its devices.
This marks a signiﬁcant change from 2013, when Android only captured
38%, falling short of iOS’s 43% share of the market. Apple retained a solid
lead for revenue generation and monetization in Q4 with a 52% share of
spend compared to Android’s 41%.
2. Personalized Services WithThe Help Of Big Data
In App Analytics and behavioral data is getting more important. Analyzed
data will be used to provide more personalized services, However, it is
not easy to develop and test these services, companies who start
investing today will be the winners of tomorrow.
3. Asia Is Raising
Smartphone adoption rates across 29 Asia Paciﬁc countries spiked from
48% to 60% in 2014 and meant that they accounted for 26% of global ad
impressions compared to the US’s share of 44%.
4. User SpendTime In Apps
Today, users are more inclined to interact with apps than the mobile browser, which means that in-app advertising is much more lucrative
than ever.The apps a user downloads onto their smartphone says a lot about their personality and likely behavior towards ads being served
to them. Social networking, music, gaming, video and media categories continue to be clear leaders in trafﬁc volume terms and receive the
highest number of impressions globally. Gaming apps present the most signiﬁcant revenue potential - in Q4 2014, gaming app impressions
represented 14% of the total (up from 5% in 2013) and revenue from these jumped from just 3% to 21% within the same period.
5. Africa is Mobile-First
Even Africa has become a hotbed for mobile growth.At the end of 2013, the region only accounted for 1% of the global mobile ad market
but this grew to nearly 5% by the end of last year.The growth is being driven by the increase in internet usage through mobile devices. In
fact, roughly 58% of Africans access the internet from their mobile device and in countries such as Kenya, 99% of internet users gain access
through their mobile.
ZTE is allowing to unlock your mobile with Eye Print ID technology.
• ZTE announced their new ﬂagship smartphone Grand S3 with a biometric feature called Eye
Print ID. Developed by Eye Verify, Eye Pront ID enables its owners to unlock the screen with
Jolla showed their new Tablet, Jolla Tablet which is running Selﬁsh, an alternative OS to iOS and Android
• Jolla Tablet has been developed by ex-Nokia employees. The project was funded in just 2 hrs
after launching the Indiegogo campaign for the initial investment.The tablet is a great alternative
in the market and supported by Intel.
200GB Micro SD Card?Yes, it is…
• SanDisk announced their 200GB Micro SD Card in Mobile World Congress. It is the biggest
capacity ever, but is it really worth? Samsung stopped micro SD support on the new Galaxy S6 and
S6 Edge and all the smart phones are coming with Cloud Storage packages. This can be the last
time that we see such kind of a product.
EXPECTING MORE INNOVATION AND LESS TELCO DOMINATION
NEXT YEAR… SEE YOU THERE!