What does the video clip tell us?
• Aboriginal People were paid only 31% of White wages.
• They received only 20% of their own wage.
From the late 1800s until
-Denial of access to their
(corrupt officials and
employers stole their
wages in many cases)
-general reluctance to pay
the monies withheld of
Views about Stolen Wages
National Director of
Green Senator of
Stolen Wages Repayment Scheme in
$2,000 to $4,000 for a
lifetime of work
Set aside $55.4
from Indigenous Wages
and Savings Reparations
Draw more than $15
from Qld Aboriginal and
Torres Strait Islander
• Many Aboriginal workers couldn’t receive the
• Many Aboriginal women worked like a slave
• Governments have tried to pay back wages of
• But it is not easy to collect records.
• Aboriginal people claim low success of
• Do you agree with the amount of repayment
that Queensland government decided?
• How do you think the reasons that other
states and territory (South Australia, Victoria,
Tasmania, Northern Territory) do not set up
• gonkybonks 2007, Justice?, video recording, YouTube
• History of Indigenous wages: Queensland
Government 2012, viewed 18 September 2013,
• Korff, J, creative spirits, viewed 11 September 2013,
• Queensland Stolen Wages Fact Sheet, viewed 17
• World News Australia 2013, Stolen wages issue heats
up, video recording, YouTube