2. OUTPUT HARDWARE devices that translate information processed by the computer into a form humans can understand.
Permanent (HARDCOPY) REFERS TO THE PRINTED OUTPUTEXAMPLES: Printers (dot-matrix, inkjet, laser, thermal) Plotters
Temporary (SOFTCOPY) refers to data that is known on a display screen or is in audio or voice form.EXAMPLES:• cathode ray tubes (CRT)• flat-panel display• Plasma display devices• Multimedia projectors• Audio-output• Video output
ActionConsists of processing of a data that initiate some form of action or process control activityExamples: CAD/CAM ROBOTICS SYSTEM
3. PROCESSING HARDWARE Central Processing Unit (CPU)- follows the instructions of the software to manipulate data into information Control Unit- tells the rest of the computer system carry out a program’s instructions. Arithmetic/Logic Unit- performs arithmetic operations and logical operations and controls the speed of those operations.
Types of Computer MemoryRAM-known as memory, primary storage, internal memory, volatile, temporary storage.ROM- non-volatile; a permanent software called firmware, is installed during manufacturing.
Computer use the 2 state, 0/1. 2 binary coding schemes are:ASCII- American Standard Code for Information Interchange- most widely used for microcomputers.EBODIC- Extended Binary-coded Decimal Interchange Code-commonly used in mainframes
4. STORAGE HARDWAREStorage capacity of computers is expressed in bits, bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, terabytes, petabytes, or exabytes.
Primary Storage- PAMSecondary Storage- is any storage devices designed to retain data and instructions in a relatively permanent form. Tape Storage Diskette Storage Hard Disks- rigid metal platters that hcid data as magnetized spots. Floptical Disks- a cartridge disk that relies on a combination of magnetic and optical technology.
5. Communication hardware Facilitate the connections between computers between groups of connected computers (networks). Modulator-demodulator- convert a computer’s digital signals and vice-versa. Fax-modern – a modern with a fax capability LAN card- the connection to the internet using broadband selection. Wireless Network Interface Card- used for wireless connection to LAN card Internet.
6. OTHERS Peripheral – a piece of computer hardware that is attached to a host computer expand its capabilities. Computer Port- serves as an interfere between the computer and other computers or peripheral devices.
Parallel- a type or interface found on computers for connecting various peripherals Serial- a serial communication physical interface through information transfers in or out 1 bit at time. PS/2-used for connecting some keyboards and mice to a PC compatible computer system.
IEEE 1394- a serial bus interface standard FOR HIGH-SPEED COMMUNICATIONS and isochronous real-time data transfer, frequently used in a personal computer and digital audio and digital video devices. Universal Serial Bus- a serial bus standard interface devices to a host computer designed to allow the peripherals to be connected. Ethernet- port used to connect a computer to a wired network.