BCT Section 2.03 & 2.04 Terms
Internet & Web Browsers
1. HTML The hypertext markup language, a standard code used
for internet text.
2. Address Bar Contains the URL of the active webpage.
3. Scoll Bar Allows you to scroll up down and sometimes left and
right of the screen.
4. Menu Bar The horizontal menu that appears on top of the
window, shows related functions to what you are doing.
5. Autocomplete A functionality that can complete places where you
have to fill in names, addresses, and passwords.
6. E-Mail Sending messages electronically.
7. Web Browser A software program that allows you to retrieve
documents from the World Wide Web. (Search the
8. Search Engine A tool that helps you locate information on the
9. Access Indicator A small picture on the browser that when it’s animated
shows that the browser is retrieving information.
10. Wildcard Search A search where you use a symbol like a * to simplify
11. TCP/IP A protocol of communication between computers.
12. Boolean Search Using And, Or, or Not in your searches.
13. Go Button Allows you to go to your designated website or link.
14. Multimedia Combination of text, pictures, and videos.
15. Domain Name .com, .net, .org.
16. Mailing List Share a common interest, sometimes identified by one
17. Browser Extensions Applications that give you more accessibility and
functions on your browser.
18. 5 Keys to a Good Browser Speed, reliability, updates,
19. Buddy List Friend list, email list.
20. Autocorrect Corrects mistakes automatically.
21. URL The address of the website, Universal resource locator.
22. ARPANET An old design for the internet.
24. ISP Internet service provider, a company that provides
access to the internet and email, usually for a monthly
24. Inbox & Outbox Where mail is incoming and leaving.