4 Property of Automic Software. All rights reserved
• Two components
• Removes output files
• Cleans history and old data
Maintains the following tables:
5 Property of Automic Software. All rights reserved
• Auditing data
• Calendar data
• Fiscal Calendar
Additional Purge Jobs
6 Property of Automic Software. All rights reserved
Output directories can grow extremely large
Causes slowdown with:
– Checkfile conditions
– Directory listings
– Viewing output
– Change output directory
– Dynamically archive output
– Lower Retention Days
Output File Retention
7 Property of Automic Software. All rights reserved
Vary your retention dates based on need (Default retention is 7 days)
Use the Job: RESET_FLOW_RETENTION_DATES
– Added as the last component in a Process Flow.
– Need to import in if have not.
– Works with Process flow only.
– Modules modified via output tab.
Output File Retention
8 Property of Automic Software. All rights reserved
The $AW_HOME/log directory stores logs and debug information.
In V8.0, the directory size and file size is configurable.
Log File Retention
10 Property of Automic Software. All rights reserved
• Proactive & Reactive Maintenance
– Automic Database Utilities
– Database Maintenance
– Automation Engine & Agent Maintenance
• The Most Viewed Technical KBE (Top 6 Reasons for Performance):
– 2/3rds are maintenance-related!
– “In 90% of the cases that deal with performance issues, the root cause does not lie within Automic.”
Automation Engine Maintenance
11 Property of Automic Software. All rights reserved
• Two Methods
– Automic Utilities (Archive / Reorg / Unload)
• Archive generates a copy of data for reference.
• Reorg flags records in the reports, statistics, messages, version management and audit for
• Unload removes the physical records from the database.
• Sample workflow available at support.automicworld.com
• Every client needs to have the utilities ran against it. (Client 0!)
– Client 0 contains all of the reports and records for Agent logs.
– ILM (Information Lifecycle Management).
• ILM does not include the recycle bin.
– This means you’ll need to still run the Unload!
12 Property of Automic Software. All rights reserved
• Database Maintenance is not the same as Automic Maintenance.
– Cleaning out the inside wont matter if the outside is falling apart!
• Regular Maintenance schedules are required.
– Index reorganization/rebuilding at 10/30% fragmentation.
– A broken or missing index is one of the greatest performance impacts to the system.
– If you upgrade the AE, rebuild the indexes.
• U0003533 UCUDB: Check of data source finished: No errors. Performance CPU/DB: '50212801'/'1438'
• U0003544 UCUDB: Reference values tested with Windows 2003 on XEON 1500 MHz: CPU 813865, DB 470
13 Property of Automic Software. All rights reserved
• Stay as current as possible.
– In addition to general fixes, performance improvements are released (V9 SP7 HF4, V10 10.0.3,
10.0.4, V11 SP1 HF1) and we will recommend moving to those whenever we can.
• Watch for quarantines via the System Overview.
– If you see a quarantine, contact Support.
• Watch for forced traces.
– Found in Automation Engine and Agent Logs:
– U0003620 Routine ‘&' forces trace because of error.
– U0003450 The TRACE file was opened with the switches '0000000000000001‘.
– If found, contact Support.
• Clean your /temp/ folders when appropriate.
Automation Engine & Agent Maintenance