Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.
Mapping Main Street Moscow<br /> Fifth and Sixth Block<br />Photo provided by the Latah County Historical Society<br />By:...
-Historical Timeline- <br />Photo provided by the Latah County Historical Society<br /><ul><li>The business district on Ma...
Largest of the buildings were built for Lodges or meeting places
Buildings on the fifth block prove to offer more historical than architectural interest</li></li></ul><li>Sixth and Main I...
1889<br />The Henry Building<br />520 South Main St<br />
The Henry Building<br />Photo provided by the Latah County Historical Society<br />This building was built by Andrew Henry...
1909<br />The Crystal Theatre<br />508 S. Main St.<br />
The Crystal Theatre<br />The Crystal Theatre began in a small wooden shack just north of this location. This concrete bloc...
1910<br />Economical Pharmacy<br />505 S. Main St.<br />
Economical Pharmacy<br />Photo provided by The Latah County Historical Society <br />A man by the name of L.B. McCartor an...
1911<br />1911<br />Masonic Temple<br />
Masonic Temple<br />Paradise Lodge #17 of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons was organized in 1885, and constructed this...
1926<br />Kenworthy Theatre<br />508 S. Main St.<br />Crystal Theatre<br />
Kenworthy Theatre<br />The Kenworthy Theatre was built in 1926 by Milburn Kenworthy. <br />Top picture provided by the Lat...
1926<br />Odd Fellows Hall<br />525 S. Main St.<br />
Odd Fellows Hall<br />The Moscow Lodge #31 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, a fraternal organization, was establis...
1926<br />Sterner’s Studio<br />521 S. Main St.<br />
Sterner’s Studio<br />This building still looks much like it did when it was built, despite a few changes over time. It wa...
1935<br />The NuArt Theatre<br />516 S. Main St.<br />
NuArt Theatre<br />Picture provided by the Latah County Historical Society<br />Milburn Kenworthy built this building in 1...
1940<br />Scott’s House of Flowers <br />Allegra Print & Imaging<br />506 & 507 S. Main St.<br />
Scott’s House of FlowersAllegra Print &Imaging<br />The building was built in 1940, replacing Blanchard’s Cigar Store, a w...
                 1949<br />Neely’s Travel Service<br />524 S. Main St.<br />
Neely’s Travel Service<br />In business since 1949, Neely’s Travel Service specializes in helping customers make travel pl...
Paradise creek bicycles &The Natural Abode<br />513 S. Main St.<br />517 S. Main St.<br />
The Natural Abode&Paradise Creek Bicycles<br />The Natural Abode provides green products and building materials giving a s...
One World Café <br />533 S. Main St.<br />One World Café opened in this building in 2005 and has since provided the commun...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Mapping Main Street Moscow, By Aubree Winkles and Karrah Rust

685 views

Published on

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Mapping Main Street Moscow, By Aubree Winkles and Karrah Rust

  1. 1. Mapping Main Street Moscow<br /> Fifth and Sixth Block<br />Photo provided by the Latah County Historical Society<br />By: Karrah Rust and Aubree Winkles<br />
  2. 2. -Historical Timeline- <br />Photo provided by the Latah County Historical Society<br /><ul><li>The business district on Main Street developed more slowly south of Fifth Street
  3. 3. Largest of the buildings were built for Lodges or meeting places
  4. 4. Buildings on the fifth block prove to offer more historical than architectural interest</li></li></ul><li>Sixth and Main Intersection<br />N<br />Almon Asbury Lieuallen<br /> (30 acres)<br />John Russell<br /> (30 acres)<br />E<br />W<br />James Deakin<br /> (30 acres)<br />Henry McGregor<br /> (30 acres)<br />S<br />This intersection is not a building on our specific block of Main St., but proves to be a significant point on the tour of Moscow Main Street. It is where the four 30-acre land holdings meet, that were originally donated by four of Moscow’s earliest settlers. The purpose of the donations was to start Moscow’s first business district. The year of the donations is unknown.<br />
  5. 5. 1889<br />The Henry Building<br />520 South Main St<br />
  6. 6. The Henry Building<br />Photo provided by the Latah County Historical Society<br />This building was built by Andrew Henry, a hardware and machinery dealer, a year before his death in 1889. It was the first brick building on Main St. south of Fifth St. <br />In 1902, a man named Charles Butterfield and his partner opened up a farm implement business, which together they operated until 1930.<br />
  7. 7. 1909<br />The Crystal Theatre<br />508 S. Main St.<br />
  8. 8. The Crystal Theatre<br />The Crystal Theatre began in a small wooden shack just north of this location. This concrete block building was built in 1909, and the theatre was the first in the region to show a new form of entertainment. It advertised that a person could purchase nearly an hour’s refined entertainment for only 10 cents. The building later became Neely’s Hudson Dealership before it was joined with the Kenworthy Theatre in 1928.<br />Photos provided by the Latah County Historical Society<br />
  9. 9. 1910<br />Economical Pharmacy<br />505 S. Main St.<br />
  10. 10. Economical Pharmacy<br />Photo provided by The Latah County Historical Society <br />A man by the name of L.B. McCartor and a partner opened a drug store here in a wooden building called Fuller and McCartor in 1892. The son of McCartor took over the store in 1895 and operated it until 1909. Charles Bolles and Albert Lindquist bought the business in 1910, and a year later installed the first soda fountain in Moscow, which was estimated to cost $3,000.00. <br />Today the building is occupied by the Old Peking Restaurant, a restaurant that specializes in Mandarin and Szechuan cuisine. <br />.<br />
  11. 11. 1911<br />1911<br />Masonic Temple<br />
  12. 12. Masonic Temple<br />Paradise Lodge #17 of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons was organized in 1885, and constructed this Masonic Temple 26 years later in 1885. The pediment at the top of the building bears the Masonic emblem. Although no longer operative, masons carried on the traditions of the old Lodges and used the building tools of the craft to symbolize principles of good conduct.<br />The Lodge occupied the upstairs of the building and the ground floor was rented for $270.00 a month. The total cost of the building and land at the time of construction was $14,110.00, and an extra $2,041.00 for furniture.<br />Today, Wheatberries Bake Shop and The Plush Brush Salon reside in the Masonic Temple Building.<br />Wheatberries is a locally owned bakery that bakes fresh pastries and bread early every morning. They also specialize in catering for special events.<br />Plush Brush is small, full service salon for men, women and children. <br />Masonic Emblem<br />http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry<br />
  13. 13. 1926<br />Kenworthy Theatre<br />508 S. Main St.<br />Crystal Theatre<br />
  14. 14. Kenworthy Theatre<br />The Kenworthy Theatre was built in 1926 by Milburn Kenworthy. <br />Top picture provided by the Latah County Historical Society<br />
  15. 15. 1926<br />Odd Fellows Hall<br />525 S. Main St.<br />
  16. 16. Odd Fellows Hall<br />The Moscow Lodge #31 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, a fraternal organization, was established 1889 and built this building in 1926. The Odd Fellows emblem is featured at the top front of the building.<br />Mikey’s Greek Gyro’s provides Greek traditions also offering a middle eastern and Mediterranean style.<br />Tye Dye Everything has been opened since 1989. They provide more than 150 colors and can tye dye anything.<br />Moscow Yoga Center provides yoga classes in the Iyengar tradition and encourages health and awareness.<br />
  17. 17. 1926<br />Sterner’s Studio<br />521 S. Main St.<br />
  18. 18. Sterner’s Studio<br />This building still looks much like it did when it was built, despite a few changes over time. It was built in 1926 by John Sterner for his photography studio he operated since 1904. Sterner and his son worked in this building until 1958. <br />Book People of Moscow, Inc. has been locally owned and operated since 1973. It is Moscow’s most well known book store, and is a community of book readers brought together through a common hobby.<br />
  19. 19. 1935<br />The NuArt Theatre<br />516 S. Main St.<br />
  20. 20. NuArt Theatre<br />Picture provided by the Latah County Historical Society<br />Milburn Kenworthy built this building in 1926, on the site of the Zumhof and Collin blacksmith shop, a business begun in 1885. <br />Today, the NuArt Theater is an inter-denominational, non-profit outreach ministry. The building is used as an outreach center, a bookstore, movie house, espresso shop, and coffee venue. <br />
  21. 21. 1940<br />Scott’s House of Flowers <br />Allegra Print & Imaging<br />506 & 507 S. Main St.<br />
  22. 22. Scott’s House of FlowersAllegra Print &Imaging<br />The building was built in 1940, replacing Blanchard’s Cigar Store, a wooden building ran under the management of John Blanchard’s son, Charles. It was later known as popular card room and gathering place. Today, Scott’s House of Flowers employs professional designers and services corporate accounts, personal orders, weddings, funerals and many departments for the University of Idaho and Washington State University.<br />Allegra Print & Imaging is an advanced printer with expanded capabilities, evolved from the traditional printer it was when the business first opened. <br />
  23. 23. 1949<br />Neely’s Travel Service<br />524 S. Main St.<br />
  24. 24. Neely’s Travel Service<br />In business since 1949, Neely’s Travel Service specializes in helping customers make travel plans including hotel, plane tickets and events at the lowest price available.<br />
  25. 25. Paradise creek bicycles &The Natural Abode<br />513 S. Main St.<br />517 S. Main St.<br />
  26. 26. The Natural Abode&Paradise Creek Bicycles<br />The Natural Abode provides green products and building materials giving a sustainable living, renewable energy sources.<br />Paradise Bicycles provides new bicycles the ability to bring to tune up, and find other materials. They hold bike events and bike marathons.<br />The date this building was erected is unknown.<br />
  27. 27. One World Café <br />533 S. Main St.<br />One World Café opened in this building in 2005 and has since provided the community with a welcoming environment open for socializing. Located on the corner of Sixth and Main St, this little café is an integral part of the Moscow community.<br />Picture provided by www.one-world-cafe. biz<br />
  28. 28. Bibliography<br /><ul><li>A Great Good Country: A Guide to Historic Moscow and Latah County, Idaho, (1983) by Lillian W. Otness
  29. 29. Moscow: Living and Learning on the Palouse, (2003) by Julie Monroe
  30. 30. Photographs provided by the Latah County Historical Society
  31. 31. Street Scenes: A Walking Tour of Downtown Moscow, Pamphlet by the Latah County Historical Society
  32. 32. www.moscowchamberofcommerce.com
  33. 33. www.kenworthy.org
  34. 34. www.one-world-café.biz
  35. 35. www.nuarttheatre.com
  36. 36. www.thenaturalabode.com
  37. 37. www.scottsflowers.com
  38. 38. www.bookpeople.net
  39. 39. www.allegranetwork.com
  40. 40. www.neelystravel.com
  41. 41. www.paradisecreekbikes.com</li>

×