Thinking Skills for Decision Making - in 21 Visual Tweets
Deep Thinking Skills
for Better Decision Making
- in 21 Visual Tweets!
1. Brain is efficient but lazy!
2. Brain boils down every input it receives to a
pattern that can be stored and recalled easily.
3. This pattern making behaviour of the brain
leads to creation of assumptions, perceptions,
instincts and heuristics (mental short-cuts).
4. For routine tasks the brain working on a
reflex (without thinking deep) is an efficient
way of working.
5. And at times ‘acting on instinct’ is the right
When in danger the brain decides ‘fight or
6. However, such ‘intuitive thinking’ is not
We have to be wary of ‘bad habits’ of the
7. Bad Habits of the Brain - 1: At times our
emotions and beliefs may lead us to wrong
assumptions and perceptions.
8. Bad Habits of the Brain - 2: Brain can
become ‘ethnocentric’ - influenced by own
society and culture, oblivious of other ways
9. Bad Habits of the Brain - 3: Brain can become
‘egocentric’ - influenced by own ego ( “I am
right, others are wrong” )
10. Instead of relying only on
intuition for making decisions and
choices learn the steps for deep
or reflective thinking...
11. Deep Thinking Step - 1: Discipline your brain
to challenge intrinsic assumptions,
perceptions and instincts.
12. Use techniques like Six Hat Thinking, Plus-
Minus-Interesting Analysis, Role Playing,
Critical Questioning, Games & Simulations.
13. Deep Thinking Step - 2: Make a deliberate
effort to think of ‘alternatives’.
14. Use techniques like brainstorming, creating
‘what-if’ scenarios, word association and De
Bono’s ‘Po’ analysis.
15. Deep Thinking Step - 3: Weigh all alternatives
by working out the possible downstream
consequences of each.
16. A ‘Socratic Dialogue’ with self or others to
explore pros & cons of alternatives further
clarifies thinking, leading to better decisions.
17. Deep Thinking Review - 1: For complex
situations, where more than one factor can
vary, Reflective of Deep thinking becomes
18. Deep Thinking Review - 2: In complex
situations decisions should not be
influenced by first rush of emotions,
instincts or impulse.
19. Deep Thinking Review - 3: Decisions and
choices should not be based only on
perceptions formed by past experiences.
20. Deep Thinking Review - 4: Decisions and
choices should be based on deliberate and
conscious thinking... start with generating new
21. Deep Thinking Final Thought: Work out the
downstream consequences of alternates and
then decide. Such a decision will be better
than an intuitive one!
About the Author
for reading. I w
yo ur com - Atul