What is URL?
• URL (Uniform Resource Locator) allows
web users to access the
webpage, documents, or any other
resources hosted in your server
• It is important that you structure your
web urls for your visitors and Bots
1. Use Hyphen
• Google in its webmasters blog recommends
the use of hyphens.
• For example http://www.example.com/home-
insurance is much better than
• Using hyphens to separate words make it
much more readable for visitors too.
2. Static over Dynamic URLS
• A Common Problem in CMS (Content
Management System) is the generation of
• Make use of plugins to convert non-readable
dynamic urls to static easy to understand urls.
• Plugins Not Available: Use 301 redirects on
the dynamic urls to readable urls.
3. Session Ids and URL
• Session ids and URL parameters are inevitable for sites
with search and sort features
• Exclude such urls by using robot.txt
• In Robot.txt use the following entry:
User Agent: *
4. Mind the Length
• Maximum URL allowed by Internet Explorer is
• Stick to 3-5 words in your URL.
• Divide Pages to category and sub-category
5. Keyword in URLs
• Use of keywords in the initial part of the URL
can improve the relevance of your webpage
and improve click through rate in SERP.
• For Category Page:
• For Sub-Category Page
• For the actual page use the following variations:
• For pages that have long keywords, avoid
categories and sub-categories altogether
6. Case Consistency
• Avoid ALL CAPs in your URL
• If you are going to use First Letter Caps for all
categories and sub-category pages, stick with
it. Don’t change after 100 pages.
• Use of lower case in URL keywords has been
found effective. Not for SEO but to improve
click through rates in SERPs
ByteFive Internet Marketing
Want More Internet Marketing, PPC and SEO Tips?
• Subscribe to ByteFive’s Internet Marketing
Visit ByteFive Internet Marketing Blogs By Topic
• Google AdWords
• Conversion Rate Optimization
• More Topics
Want help with Internet Marketing?
• Contact ByteFive for Services