An introduction of Site-it!, which is a set of sticky notes with printed page template. It is used for site structure designing.
Presented at HCII09 (Human Computer Interaction Intenational 2009) on July 22, 2009.
Site-it!: Information Architecture Prototyping Tool
Site-it!: Information Architecture
Atsushi HASEGAWA, Ph.D.
• We have developed a web site structure
prototyping tool: Site-it!
• Site-it! enables to involve all project
members in the discussion of web site
• Using Site-it! makes to keep discussion from
getting into too specific.
• Site-it! is good for Enterprise Information
Architecture and High Level Site Structure.
• A UX design company based in Tokyo since 2002
• Web sites, web applications: research, UX strategy, design
• UX strategy and UI prototype of information devices
Atsushi Hasegawa, Ph. D.
• An Information Architect since 2000
• Organizing IA Association Japan, HCD-Net board director,
IA Institute member and translation initiative
• Founder and President of Concent, Inc.
HCD Process: ISO 13407
1. Plan the human centered
2. Specify the context of use
5. Evaluate designs against 3. Specify user and
user requirements organizational requirements
4. Produce design solutions
Elements of Web Site Design
-Server-side (DB, Apps)
Technology -Front-end (HTML/CSS,
-Graphic Design -Content Planing
-UI Design -Organization
-Art Direction -Site Structure
Information Architecture Design
• Content Plan
• Content Organization
• Site Structure
Roles of Site Structure
• EIA represents the organization’s attitude to the
customer, and other stakeholders.
• and EIA also represents the brand strategy of the
• The “Main Navigation” represents the site’s concept.
• Content categories relates the DB requirements and the
• Site structure is the basis of the user’s experience of the
Problems of Site Structure
1. Difficult to read / understand the context
from the document
2. Difficult to discussion among the team
3. Blank Post-it! is useful, but hard to
image what content is in it
• Sticky notes with templates
• 3 types of Pages: 7 templates
- Portal type (1)
- List type (text, w/ thumbnail, thumbnail: 3)
- Article type (text, w/ image, functional: 3)
• Only Title Area to write
Text Text + Thumbnail Thumbnail
Text Text + Image
Features of Site-it!
• Easy to prepare: anytime, everywhere
• Enable to involve people: members,
clients, managers, developers
• Easy to try multiple patterns
• Enable to concentrate to the structure,
not page details, without
Site-it! is good for:
• Enterprise Information Architecture
(EIA): Relation among sites
- Micro-site strategy
- Brand portfolio and web site structure
• High level site structure of a web site
- Main categories / main navigation
- Searching path
• Take our brochure
• You can download this slideshow from
tag: HCII09, Site-it!, Concent, IA
• We are preparing the data of Site-it! and stencils for
applications: OmniGraffle, Visio, Excel
• For more information:
concentinc.jp/ or firstname.lastname@example.org