Jack Kilby Science And Technology Quiz 2009 Prelims
Jack Kilby Science and Technology Quiz 2009, Prelims
Date: 6 November, 2009
Venue: Air Force Auditorium, Subroto Park, New Delhi
1) Who is getting ideas?
2) Identify this notorious fish.
3) Who wrote this book?
4) In 1902, what did Cecil Booth use to give the Westminster Abbey a clean look on the
coronation of King Edward VII?
5) Identify the breed of dog.
6) What term describes what you see here?
Barcode/ Universal Product Code
7) In terms of what they are named after, what is common in Cerium and Palladium?
They are named after Asteroids
8) Name the organ.
9) In 1905, who submitted these 4 papers to the journal Annals der Physik? (Different
extracts from the papers were used in the quiz)
i) Energy, during the propagation of a ray of light, is not continuously distributed
over steadily increasing spaces, but it consists of a finite number of energy
quanta localised at points in space, moving without dividing and capable of being
absorbed or generated only as entities.
ii) According to the molecular kinetic theory of heat, bodies of a microscopically
visible size suspended in liquids must, as a result of thermal molecular motions,
perform motions of such magnitudes that they can be easily observed with a
iii) The laws by which the states of physical systems undergo change are not
affected, whether these changes of state be referred to the one or the other of
two systems of co‐ordinates in uniform translatory motion.
iv) Any ray of light moves in the "stationary" system of co‐ordinates with the
determined velocity c, whether the ray be emitted by a stationary or by a moving
10) Name the flower.
11) This bridge also doubles up as which instrument?
Sundial, the bridge is the Sundial bridge at Turtle Bay, California
12) Identify this animal. ( A video was played)
13) On which day this year did the Google logo look like this? (The exact date)
July 20, 2009 (40th Anniversary of the Moon Landing)
14) Which genus of extinct hominids has the name which means “Southern Ape”?
15) What do you call such a mechanical representation of the solar system?
16) A 2006 book about him is titled ‘The Man Who Fed the World’. Name the Nobel Peace
prize winner who passed away recently.
Norman Ernest Borlaug
17) Arthur Compton: The Italian navigator has landed in the New World.
James Conant: How were the natives?
Arthur Compton: Very friendly.
Who was the Italian Navigator?
Enrico Fermi. After Fermi's team had successfully achieved history's first controlled
nuclear chain reaction, Arthur Compton placed a brief phone call to James Conant,
chairman of the National Defense Research Committee. This conversation was in
impromptu code and Italian Navigator referred to the Italian physicist Fermi.
18) An American scientist had carried out experiments related to electromagnetism around
the same time as Michael Faraday separately. What is the S.I. Unit of inductance named
Henry (symbol: H), named after Joseph Henry
19) Who with his invention?
Elias Howe, with the sewing machine
20) What is such a deformity called?
21) The gas which consists of 1.29% of earth’s atmosphere. It is the third most abundant
element in the world.
22) If you are given an M.M.R vaccine. You will be protected against Measles, Mumps and
23) This depicts the functioning of the Maglev train. What is Maglev?
24) Identify the ocean current.
25) The two words mean ‘Sailors of Stars’ and ‘Sailors of Universe’. What are those words?
Sailor of stars – Astronaut, Sailor of universe‐ Cosmonaut
26) The finch bird helped in the formulation of which theory?
Darwin’s theory of evolution
Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, recipient of the 2009 Nobel Prize in Chemistry
28) Which disease’s vaccine was obtained from milkmaids?
29) William Thomson, a scientist had an SI unit named after him. What is the unit?
Kelvin, after William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin (or) Lord Kelvin
30) Who is this man who knew infinity?
31) What is the 12 letter word which is Greek for ‘solid’ and ‘sound’?
32) Identify the author.
Sir Arthur Charles Clarke
Compiled By: Shikhar Gautam
Hosted at snyperwolf.wordpress.com