Impact of IT on library Services with Best Practices by Muhammad Farooq
Impact of IT on library Services with
Riphah International University, Islamabad
• Information Technology
• Components Of Information Technology
• Purpose of Technology
• IT induced paradigm shift
• Role of Librarians
• Best Practices
• Information technology has fundamentally affected the operations of library
and information services and this has also great impact on the education
and training of the users on various levels. All these developments and
innovations have facilitated changes in the development of curriculum at
schools of library and information studies.
• According to the Webster’s New encyclopedia, “Information Technology is the
collective term for various technologies involved in the processing and
transmission of Information they include computing telecommunications and
• According to ALA Glossary “Information Technology as the application of
computers and technologies to the acquisition, organization, storage, retrieval
and dissemination of information
Components Of Information Technology
• Technological change is becoming a driving force in our
society. Information technology is a generic term used for a
group of technologies. Following are the major components of
information technologies as most relevant in modern library
and information system.
Purpose of Technology
• The ends?
− Increased productivity for both user and staff
− 24/7/365 access and availability
• The means?
− Application of evolving technologies evidenced by
IT induced paradigm shift
➢ Traditional libraries to digital libraries,
➢ Print on paper to digital information,
➢ Card catalogs to Web OPACs,
➢ Chains to RFID tags,
➢ Print journals to online or electronic journals,
➢ Ownership to access,
➢ In library access to remote and desktop access.
➢ Photocopies to digital copies,
➢ DDS being provided through E-mail instead of post or fax.
➢ Standalone libraries to Information networks
➢ Real to virtual libraries.
Role of Librarians…………
Traditionally librarians used to
• maintain and preserve the resources
Digital Era - Role of Librarians…………
• Negotiator – a person who should be able to identify the needs of users
• Navigator - Searching the ocean of information regardless the format
• Facilitator – Information and Infra-structure
• Educator - being familiar with information in different formats and should be able to train the
users whenever required
• Entrepreneur - Marketing Library Services
• Information filter – Able to provide right information, in right time to the right person from right
What is a Best Practice?
• An activity or procedure that has produced outstanding result
• A best practice is a technique or procedure or methodology that, through experience and research,
has proven to reliably lead to a desired result
Note: For more information go to:
RAKCOD - UAE campus
Islamic International Medical College – Trust started its journey in 1995
and established Islamic International Medical College in 1996 in
Rawalpindi. After the success of IIMC in Pakistan on the request of
Muslim community IIMCT started a dental college RAK College of
Dental Sciences in Ras Al Khaimah, UAE. It was founded in 2007 to
impart professional education of international standard in
collaboration with Islamic International Dental College of Riphah
International University. In 2012 First batch of dentists graduated from
RAK College of Dental Sciences, UAE.
• Status change from administration to faculty in 2009
• Infrastructure change in 2010
• ILS orientation started in 2011
• All systems starts work in 2012
• HR model presented in International conference and it was consider the
• Categories and recording of library users’ queries was started in 2013
• Riphah in Media
• Newspaper Database
• Riphah Research Repository
• Media Centre
• All Journals @ One Place
• Everything @ One Place- Discovery System
• Reference Desk
• Query Management System
• Information TV
• Learning Guides
• Riphah Course Guides, Subject & Library Guides
Riphah in Media
Goal of the Practice:
Riphah in Media is an initiative of
organizational knowledge management
project for effective storage and
retrieval of all material published
in print and electronic media since 2003.
All about Riphah published in media
updates on daily bases including.
Conferences, Workshops & trainings
News clipping from renowned newspapers
• Research Repository is a
part of organizational
knowledge management in
order to develop a digital
Center of the total
RIPHAH RESEARCH REPOSITORY (RRR)
➢ Information Literacy Program
➢ Information Advisors
An inter-university TV channel named as ITV (Information TV) designed to
cater to the needs of the students/faculty, planned to be launched soon on
the national and international platform.
In case of any difficulty in locating or handling of information, accessing online
databases and online resources, Riphah leaning guides is the right place to find
answers with step by step easy to use video clips and to get support/help.
• Best practices and policies vary from library to library depending
on the mission, vision and goals of the parent institution.
• The library must adhere to the mission, vision and goals of its
parent institution in developing its best practices and policies.