THE AXELOS REPORT
Over three in ten of all IT projects in the country could
fall short of expectations, according to a new Axelos
The report states that 31 percent of UK IT projects
•The National Audit Office warned that a third
of the government’s large projects, that should
be completed over the next five years, are also
bound to fail.
• There are plenty of examples, including London’s Barbican
Centre (estimated cost £8m, actual cost £187m), the
Humber Bridge (£28m/£151m), the Jubilee Line extension
(£2.1bn/£3.5bn) and the British Library (£74m/£511m).
THE CAUSES OF FAILURE
• From projectmanagement audits
• No, or incomplete requirements
• No Scope or an instable scope
• Bad communication
• Inadequate resources
• Bad planning
• Inadequate Risk Control
• Inadequate definition of the result
PROJECT FAILURE EXISTS
BUT THE REASONS?
In every project people could benefit from
undermining a project and work hard to do so.
Until now no book had been written about the
phenomenon of PROJECT SABOTAGE.
•Prof Kaptijn: what position do people take?
•1% is corrupt
•1% is honest
•98% decides its position based on the situation
On the beaten track
•BUT: NO SABOTAGE, little attention for the human
• Sabotage is linked to resistance to change, we see management
literature on this subject.
• We only consider it to be sabotage if the project is DELIBERATELY
being undermined. Resistance is often passive.
• Incompetence does occur but we don’t call that sabotage.
• I exagerate: here is the nuance: from small manipulation to more
destructive, from small changes to stopping a project completely, it is
• First: admit the existence of non-benivolent project
participants. They exist. Project failure is not just
• And: change the governance of projects by adding this
element to the existing tool box of project managers. It is not
just structure that counts, it is also culture and behaviour.
•Make an analysis, by using existing tools like
a stakeholder analysis.
•Define the motives for sabotage
•Be ware: do not blow the wistle before
•Watch out: do not inform the wrong persons!
IN SUMMARY ….
•Project saboteurs do exist
•Take your measures
•Add these instruments to the existing PM tool