Introduction• Statistical process control (SPC) is the application of statistical methods to the monitoring and control of a process to ensure that it operates at its full potential to produce conforming product.• SPC process behaves predictably to produce as much conforming product as possible with the least possible waste.• SPC has been applied most frequently to controlling manufacturing lines, it applies equally well to any process with a measurable output.• In addition to reducing waste, SPC can lead to a reduction in the time required to produce the product or service from end to end.
• Statistical Process Control – Statistical we collect large amounts of data about our memory products from experiments. – Study that data to learn how our actions affect the performance of our products. – Process is the method of doing something. – Control we use the data to adjust the process to achieve the desired results. – results are dependent on customer requirements, efficiency, quality, and reliability.
• How to Use SPC: – Statistical Process Control may be broadly broken down into three sets of activities: • understanding the process, • understanding the causes of variation, • and elimination of the sources of special cause variation. – In understanding a process, the process is typically mapped out and the process is monitored using control charts. – When excessive variation is identified by the control chart detection rules, or the process capability is found lacking, additional effort is exerted to determine causes of that variance. – Once the causes of variation have been quantified, effort is spent in eliminating those causes that are both statistically and practically significant.
Pakistan Tobacco Company• Pakistan Tobacco Company Limited was incorporated in 1947 immediately after partition, they took over the business of the Imperial Tobacco Company of India which had been operational in the subcontinent since 1905.• First multi-national company to begin its operations in Pakistan.• From being just a single factory operation to a company which is involved in every aspect of cigarette production, from crop to consumer, they have evolved into one of the leading corporations in Pakistan.
• Our Vision “First choice for everyone.”• Our Mission“Transform PTC to perform responsibly with the speed, flexibility and enterprising spirit of an innovative, consumer focused company.”• Our Strategic Objectives “Our strategy reflects our vision of being the champions of Growth, Productivity, Responsibility and Winning Organization.”
SWOT Analysis• Strength • Opportunities – Continuous learning and – PTC has the potential to further improvement. improve the cost reduction method. – Diversified workforce and – Export of premium brands environment. – Technologically advanced machinery • Threats and equipments. – Some of its competitors are also – Training and development of its producing high quality brands. employees. – Limitation of their product,• Weakness – Decline in tobacco growth – Technological advancement would decrease the workforce and unemployment will increase. – Workers are always under threat because of downsizing. – Improper distribution of work
Implementation• This research intends to combine the Hourly Data System (HDS) and Statistical Process Control (SPC) practices to improve manufacturing performances in manufacturing companies.• The focus of this work is to find out the frequencies and time duration of machine breakdowns as well as the major causes of breakdowns affecting productivity.• Total quality management (TQM) was introduced to improve continually the products or services to increase the customer satisfaction level.• TQM is a people focused management system that aim at continual improvement in customer satisfaction. It helps to monitor process continuously.
Methodology• The volume of cigarette packing department (CPD) has been taken for analyzing the performance of the machines.• The major difference between brands lies in tobacco mixture and they have same packing and making process.• These data are then plotted in Minitab, which is a Statistical Software for production trend analysis.• Root causes of failure for production data which is out of control limit are then looked for from HDS, Maintenance Schedule, Communication Log Book, and Electrical Log Book and then the findings have been analyzed.
• LOSS TIME DATA ANALYSIS – Pareto Chart for Break-Down Time • According to the rules of SPC chart, all the out of specification points have been detected. • Each point on the control chart represents the total production volume of a particular day. • The defects responsible for each individual out of spec data have been traced from HDS and the root causes of those defects are then analyzed. – Alert Signal Before Major Breakdowns • The best approach to address any breakdown is the preventive measure. • Preventive maintenance is a scheduled maintenance program that prevents the machineries and equipments from unwanted breakdown in between production process.
• Economic Analysis – Loss Incurred From Machine Break Down – Loss Incurred from Non-Conforming Products• Conclusion – Detailed analysis has been done to find out the frequencies and time duration of cigarette making machine breakdowns as well as the major causes of those breakdowns. – The obtained result shows that any breakdown can cause a huge cost and the best approach to address any breakdown is the preventive measure. – The economic analysis has clearly affirmed the fact that any preventive measure assuming the breakdown patterns can help a lot in terms of revenue generation.