Ban on direct advertising
Excise regulations and Licenses
Subject to licensing under Industrial (Development and
Regulation) Act, 1956
Cap on licensed capacity; special license for expansion
Increase in disposable income
Western culture influence
Changing Trends – Youngsters, Parties and Celebrations
Beer - from 18 to 21
Hard liquor - from 21 to 25
In India 40-50 % of all males and 1% of all females
consumed alcohol last yr.
62% drinkers classified as light, 29% as moderate drinkers
and 9% as hard drinker.
It is a well developed - Rs 8,200- 8500 Crores
industry in India
Past growth 12 % CAGR per annum
Brown spirits - particularly whisky, rum & brandy
account for over 75 % of this market
South and North share 60% of market
Market size – 20 million cases in 1999 to 84
million cases in 2011.
• Johnnie walker is a brand of Scotch
whisky owned by Diageo that originated
in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland.
• The most widely distributed brand of
blended Scotch whisky in the world, with
annual sales of over 130 million bottles.
• It basically targets on Businessmen and
• Strong customer and brand loyalty.
• Unique packaging that customer could recall.
• Popularity and following among the high income
group and its intended use for special occasions.
• “Keep walking” slogan and logo are extremely
well recognized world over.
• Brand protection costs are high as product
replicas affect image and sales
• Penetration in the market is low no easy
• Increased consumption of scotch on
• Spending power for such premium
products amongst the consumer is
• More global penetration
• Comparatively low prices of competitors
• Use of champagne for special occasions
• Local blended scotch and their high
penetration in the market