• Vespa is an Italian line of scooter
manufactured by piaggio.
• The vespa is a scooter manufactured in 1946
by piaggio & co of pontedera italy.
• Piaggio now europe’s largest manufacturer of
two wheeled vehicles and the world’s fourth
largest motorcycle manufacturer.
• Vespa was the first globally sucessful scooter.
• Vespa first came to India in 1960 with the
collaboration with Bajaj auto.
• The collaboration ended in 1971 .
• Vespa at that time was considered an iconic
scooter brand globally & the brand was owned
• Piaggio then joined hands with kanpur based
lohia machines ltd (LML) in 1983 & started to
roll out the vespa range of scooters.
• By that time bajaj was ruling the indian
market with the iconic chetak.
• LML faced its worst financial crises.
• LML was the 2nd largest scooter manufacturer in india.
• Market share rose to 28 %.
• Joint venture was called off with LML buying piaggio’s stake.
• LML decided to go alone with the scooters.
• LML dropped the name vespa & cont. Selling LML nv & other models.
VESPA’S THIRD DEBUT
• Having travelled through a 100 countries
and selling over 17 million units globally till date,
Vespa entered in indian market
on april 2012.
• The scooter is positioned at the premium-end and is
15-20% more expensive than competitors like
Honda Activa, Suzuki Access and Mahindra Duro.
• With investments of 30 million Euros, the
company has set up a plant at Baramati with a capacity of
1,50,000 units per annum
Speed:- Top speed 120kmph.
Fuel economy :- approx 50 kmpl.
Body :- metallic.
Overall Length: 1760 mm (69.3 in) .
Overall Width: 695 mm (27.3 in).
Overall Height: 1110 mm (43.7 in).
Price :- 66,667 rs.
• According to Society of Indian automobile
manufacturers, vespa sales in India grew 24.55
% to 62%,841 units by 2012.
• "We are investing Rs 150 crore to double the
capacity at the plant by the fourth quarter of
2013 so that in 2014, we can do at least
20,000 units a month by 2014, “ MD Ravi
• In 2012, with its re-entry, the Vespa aimed to connect
with the youth.
• It created a digital campaign in collaboration with
Ogilvy One Worldwide and Meridian Communications .
As part of the digital campaign, Piaggio created a 'Once
upon a Vespa' contest.
• This contest provided participants an opportunity to
win a trip to Italy, Vespa scooters, and other prizes.
• It educated Indians about the Vespa’s rich heritage and
culture in a fun way...