- Ashish Chinthal
About GE ?
• GE is a diversified technology, media and financial services company. It has products and
services ranging from aircraft engines, power generation, water processing and security
technology to medical imaging, business and consumer financing, media content and
• GE employs more than 300,000 people worldwide. GE people world wide are dedicated to
turning imaginative ideas to leading products and services that help solving some of worlds
• The company's origins go back to 1890 and the Edison General Electric Company, founded
by Thomas Alva Edison, inventor of the incandescent electric lamp.
• The General Electric Company, or GE (NYSE:GE) , is a multinational American
technology and services conglomerate incorporated in the State of New York.
• As per fortune 500 companies list, GE is the world's fifth largest company by revenues.
• In the 1960s, aspects of U.S. tax laws and accounting practices led to a rise in the
assembly of conglomerate. GE is arguably the most successful organization of this type.
GE is made up of six business units:
• GE Commercial Finance: This unit provides loans, operating leases, financing programs,
commercial insurance, and an array of other products and services aimed at enabling businesses
• GE Consumer Finance: A leading provider, under the GE Money brand, of credit services to
consumers, retailers and automotive dealers around the world.
• GE Healthcare: GE Healthcare is a leader in the development of a new paradigm of patient care
dedicated to detecting disease earlier and helping physicians tailor treatment for individual
• GE Industrial: The division provides a broad range of products and services, including appliances
and lighting; plastics and silicones products; and equipment services.
• GE Infrastructure: One of the world's leading providers of fundamental technologies to
developing countries, including aviation, energy, oil and gas, rail and water process technologies.
GE - Aviation is the world's leading producer of large and small jet engines for commercial and
military aircraft. It also supplies aircraft-derived engines for marine applications and provides
• NBC Universal: A leading media and entertainment company in the development, production and
marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience.
History of GE
• By 1890, Thomas Edison had formed Edison General Electric which brought together several of
his business interests together under one corporation. At about the same time, Thomson-Houston
Company under the leadership of Charles A. Coffin gain access to a number of key patents
through the acquisition of a number of competitors. Subsequently, General Electric was formed by
the merger in 1892 of Edison General Electric and Thomson-Houston Company.
• In 1896, General Electric was one of the original 12 companies listed on the newly-formed Dow
Jones Industrial Average and still remains after 112 years.
• In 1911 the National Electric Lamp Association(NELA) was absorbed into General Electric's
existing lighting business. GE then established its lighting division headquarters at Nela Park in
East Cleveland, Ohio. Nela Park was the world's first industrial park, and is still the headquarters
for GE's lighting business.
• The Radio Corporation of America (RCA) was founded by GE in 1919 to further international
• General Electric was one of the eight major computer companies through most of the 1960s. It
has been said that GE got into computer manufacturing because in the 1950s they were the
largest user of computers outside of the United States federal government. In 1970 GE sold its
computer division to Honeywell.
• In 1986 GE reacquired RCA, primarily for the NBC television network. The remainder was sold to
various companies, including Bertelsmann and Thomson SA.
• In 2002 Francisco Partners and Norwest Venture Partners acquired a division of GE called GE
Information Systems (GEIS). GXS is a leading provider of B2B e-Commerce solutions. GE
maintains a minority ownership position in GXS.
• In 2004 GE bought Vivendi’s television and movie assets, becoming the third largest media
conglomerate in the world. The new company was named NBC Universal . Also in 2004 GE
completed the spin-off of most of its mortgage and life insurance assets into an independent
company, Genworth Financial, based in Richmond, Virginia.
• Genpact formerly known as GE Capital International Services (GECIS) was established by GE in
late 1997 as its captive India based BPO. GE sold 60% stake in Genpact to General Atlantic and
Oak Hill Capital Partners in 2005 and hived off Genpact into an independent business. GE is still a
major client to Genpact getting its services in customer service, finance, information technology
• In May 2008, GE announced it was exploring options for divesting the bulk of its Consumer and
• As disclosed in the 2009 Proxy Statement, GE shareowners are being asked to vote on a
shareowner proposal requesting the Board of Directors to commission an independent,
comprehensive study to evaluate the potential of breaking up GE in order to enhance ownership
value through liberation of the holding company/diversification discount suffered by the
Purpose & Mission of GE
• To deliver customer oriented services by solving world’s
biggest problems by putting collective imagination to
work for a better future.
• Identifying & investing in the emerging domains &
• To maximize the economic profit of the organization and
there by deliver maximum value to share holders &
Facts & figures
• Rank: 5 (Fortune 500)
• CEO: Jeffrey R. Immelt
• Website : www.ge.com
• Industry: Aircraft Jet Engines, Electricity, Entertainment, Finance, Gas Turbine
Generation, Industrial Automation, Lighting, Medical Imaging equipment, Medical
Software, Motors, Railway Locomotives etc.
May-09 $ m illions % change from 2007
Revenues 1,83,207.00 3.7
Prof its 17,410.00 -21.6
As s ets 7,97,769.00 —
equity 1,04,665.00 —
(3/27/2009) 1,13,841.40 —
Profits as % of
As s ets 2.2
Social Impact & responsibility
• Aviation- GE developed America's first turbojet engines and continues to advance the industry
with innovative GE90® and GEnx™ engines. Today GE supplies the world with engines for the
commercial, corporate, military and marine industries. GE also provides technology upgrades,
engine exchange services, and more.
• Appliances- GE is one of the largest manufacturers of major appliances in the world. Since 1907,
GE has been introducing advanced appliances to improve peoples' lives. GE continues the legacy
today with energy conserving innovations like the Advantium® oven, the Harmony™ clothes care
system, and more.
The GE ecomagination Homebuilder Program is a groundbreaking effort to provide
comfortable, efficient homes that save homeowners' energy costs while easing the impact on the
• Energy- How we manage energy today will determine the kind of world we live in tomorrow.
Whether it is solar power in rural India, wind power in Europe, or cleaner coal in the U.S., GE’s
diverse portfolio of power generation products and services is changing the way we think about
• Finance- As the world economy grows, more and more businesses worldwide look to GE to fuel
their growth. GE provides loans, operating leases, financing programs, commercial insurance,
equipment leasing of every kind, and other services in over 35 countries around the world.
• Health care- GE is changing healthcare delivery in more than 100 countries with its vision for an
“early health” model, focusing on early diagnosis, intervention, and prevention. And, as the world
moves toward the “digital hospital,” GE is leading the way with technology for patient monitoring,
imaging, information delivery, and more.
• Lighting- Our company began with the invention of the world's first affordable incandescent lamp.
A century later, GE is still bringing light to your world. Development is in progress for new lighting
technologies such as fluorescents and light-emitting diodes that operate with more efficiency, less
cost and less environmental impact than ever before.
• Media & Entertainment - NBC Universal is harnessing the power of digitization, enabling the
distribution of news, information and entertainment across multiple media to capture new users
and revenue streams. GE’s diverse portfolio includes network television broadcast and production,
film, cable networks, sports (including the Olympic Games), international television channels,
theme parks and more.
• Oil & Gas- GE is helping to meet the world's increasing demand for oil and gas while also
developing the technologies that will be needed to address tomorrow's energy challenges. GE’s
innovations includes from extracting oil from tar sands to deep-sea exploration and production.
Such technologies are ensuring responsible energy access for generations to come.
• Security - GE is continually advancing new technologies that help homeowners monitor their
properties, make schools safer, improve airline security, and more.
• Water - The U.N. estimates that 1.2 billion people lack access to safe drinking water. GE is
committed to developing new products and processes to conserve this vitally important resource,
such as breakthrough purification technologies that reclaim up to 90% of wastewater for recycling
at industrial and manufacturing facilities.
Productive work & worker
Achievements at GE
• GE is renowned for hiring exceptional people and giving them unparalleled opportunities to build
their careers and capabilities. There is simply no other company in the world with such a diverse
set of businesses in which to work, and such a development-focused culture in which to grow.
• At GE, It goes beyond businesses, brands and infrastructure. With four businesses and
operations in over 160 countries, GE employees have an unparalleled foundation on which to
build their careers, their abilities and their dreams. GE offers its employees challenging, rewarding
careers in dynamic businesses.
• From the outset, innovation has been part of GE’s DNA. That means being surrounded by bright,
interesting people working together on new and exciting projects. It means trying to find new and
better ways of doing things. And it means enjoying a career with extraordinary opportunities and
• GE hires exceptional people and invests in their growth. GE has a culture of continuous learning,
thoughtfully designed to enable employees to grow their personal capabilities and reach their full
potential. They invest in education, provide access to experienced colleagues and give
opportunities to work with intelligent, dedicated people.
• GE does business in over 160 countries, giving employees a literal world of experience.
Opportunities at GE are defined, in part, by the emerging needs of businesses, customers and
clients all around the world,. A career at GE offers access to some of the most exciting and
dynamic challenges of lifetime.
• Integrity is an essential component of life at GE.
Life @ GE?
• GE’s culture is all about providing everyone who works there with the opportunities to
exercise their responsibility, integrity, creativity, and accountability while growing
themselves, their careers, and the business.
• GE wants you to stay healthy, to be able to manage illness, and to get better faster.
They offer comprehensive medical and dental coverage. GE offers valuable tax
benefits and a company match that works with employee contributions to help
employees save for the future. They also provide employees with hundreds of
everyday discounts, savings at local shops, seasonal shopping guides, and
• At GE, learning is part of way of life. Employees can take advantage of tuition
reimbursement benefits to help improve their skills, grow their career, or get a loan to
help pay for their family’s higher education.
• GE strives to be a great company, with the capability, reach, and resources to make a
lasting difference. Being a good company means GE pushes itself to do the best, for
its customers, for its shareholders, for the company, for ourselves, for those around
us, and for the world that we all share.
Administration & Entrepreneurship
• Scaling up investment in Health care domain as it has
potential to grow at a very rapid rate.
• Outsourcing work to locations which offer leverage of Cost
and domain expertise.
• Heavy investments in R & D.
• Reshuffling of finances from GE capital to other business
• Scaling up businesses in promising markets like India, China,
Brazil & Vietnam
GE in India
• General Electric Co. sees annual revenue from India rising to more than $5-billion
(U.S.) by 2010 as its operations on the subcontinent play an increasingly important
role in the conglomerate's growth.
• Mr. Immelt gave India's economic prospects a vote of confidence and said GE
wants to invest in high-growth areas like consumer finance and aviation.
• "All the conditions are right to invest in India," Mr. Immelt said. "Over the next five
years India will be one of the fastest-growing, if not the fastest-growing region in
• Mr. Immelt said India's infrastructure needs and the rising spending power of its
citizens make the subcontinent a core part of that strategy. He said opportunities
existed for GE in newly deregulated areas such as aviation, where airports and
aircraft engines are required to meet booming demand.
• Mr. Immelt said the Indian market has advantages for GE businesses, like strong
consumer and commercial-finance sectors, that were largely absent in China. But
the gap between the two economies remains stark. China attracted more than
$60-billion in foreign direct investment last fiscal year, more than 10 times the
amount received by India.
5-10 yrs down the line GE would like to:
• Expand its presence out of US & Europe i.e. Asia.
• Expand drastically in Health care business.
• Be more customer oriented by innovatively solving the most difficult
• Be actively involved in solving all the important issues of the world.
• Groom the next generation employees of GE & equip them with the skillset
to face the future problems of the world.