1. An Internet for every sapiens
The current Internet is for literated,
English readers, middle class people.
Around 600 milions worldwide.
Is it possible to build an Internet for
6.000 milions and beyond? How?
– There are 5.000 human languages worldwide
– What is the minimum requirement to participate in
the Information Society?
– Every sapiens can speak (almost everyone).
– The new Internet will be the Internet of languages,
the Internet of voice and video.
Three cultures, three phases of the
1st. 1970s-90s The Internet of computer
technologists and innovative people,
( email,ftp,telnet,...) (6 M people)
2nd.90s-2010s The Internet of scientists, the
mathematical and literated people,( WWW,
Grid,...). We are still here. (600 M people)
3rd.2010s-2030s The Internet of arts and
cultures, The Internet of vocal and visual people,
(VoIP, HD,videoconf,...) (6.000 M people)
80% of current Internet trafic is
already interchange of music and
2. i2CAT Foundation:
Designing an Internet for
The i2CAT approach:
1. The new Internet2 can be the Internet for
everyone, through the convergence of audio and
video technologies into IP networks
2. The ISOC motto: “Internet is for everyone” can
3. The i2CAT is a research foundation for building a
model of Internet for every person and every
culture, a humane Internet.
European Digital Areas
Goal of i2CAT: Taking the leadership
in the Mediterranean Internet
The Mediterranean : The multicultural frontier of
Europe. The Mediterranean Internet a multicultural
and diverse Internet
The Catalan Internet, a multilingual and
– Catalan, Spanish and Latin languages
– English and Northern Europe culture
– European gateway to Asia (Japan, Korea,...)
– Traditional linkages with Arab world and Africa
E-Europe Strategy: “To become in 2010
in the most advanced knowledge
economy in the world”
Catalunya 2010, a
Multicultural Digital Laboratory?
A Catalan public/private foundation for promoting
advanced Internet research and development in order to
achieved the leadership in the Southern
European and the Mediterranean Information Society.
Òpera Oberta Project (2001)
HDSDI (1,5 Gbps)
Media (10 Mbps) UNIVERSITATS (UPC, UdG, UdL)
Gatew a y i2CAT
Òpera Learning Project
•Create an IP channel TV ofering live Opera from Opera House
Participants: Liceu, Techno Trends, UOC, UPC i CIRENE. Now
in 2004, more than 35 Spanish and Latin American universities
follow the course.
eGòtic Project (2001)
UMTS using WL
– Streaming audio
and video on real
Gaudi Project 2002, High
• 270 mbps first
Seattle of a
Channel and UPC
270 mbps HDSDI between BCN and
Brussels (Ipv6 Global Launching, Jan
A major architectural symbol:
The inauguration day,
The Forum‘s Building
3 Forum at the
What kinf of content?
– Artistic performances of all kind
– 4 Big Expositions: Voices,Cities-Corners,Xi’an
Warriors,Living in the Planet
2. Forum Dialogues:
– 49 dialogues, 1.500 speakers, 11 topics (Cultural
diversity and media,The Word,Science and
Sustainable Development,Liberty, Security and
Peace,Globalization and Development,
Spirituality,Other Voices,Education and Culture in
Development, The City, New Actors
3. Forum at the City:
– Artistic festivals, concerts and performances.
What we accomplished?
The MEPG 2 Transport stream
– i2CAT has sent direct live streaming of Forum’
dialogues in MPEG2 to its partners of Internet2.
– The Forum has streamed more than 2.400 houres
in SDI format. I2CAT is now in negotiations for
putting all this media content on Geant free of use.
– ANF from Korea has offered to send HD content
on Boudha on the Net
What we accomplished? (2)
The Transformatorium: a VR theater for
cultural interchanges in the Forum.
– The Interactive Institute of Umea (Sweden)
brought to Barcelona this installation allowing
a networking experience in Virtual Reality
between different parts of the world.
– The VR model was based in an old Swedish
water mill, designed with the help of a
secondary school in Umea.
Computer Parties seems to be a new
form of culture in the digital era
•A) Testing in a big scale the new Internet
networks and applications
B) Making popular the use of new
What kind of services?
– High quality video : DVTS, MPEG2,HDSDI,
– H.323 Videoconferencing
– MPEG 2 transport stream (Forum Dialogues will
produce 3 audio channels in three languages:
– MAVS, Multilingual Search Engine (Prous)
Exploring Grid Services
– Acces Grid, for video distribution
– Storage Grid and Distributed Systems
A real multilingual party
For Catalan speaking world
For Spanish speaking world
For English speaking world
...Aditional languages (French,
Korean,Arab,...) as the partners
The universities of the Internet2-
Research Channel Global...can take the
Seatt Montre B et
le al C ANF
GMP as forum of cultures
Advances networking and applications allows
integration of speech,imaging, sounds,
data...allows an Internet of languages and
The Knowledge Society is a kind of Universal
Forum of Cultures
Let’s celebrate the GMP as a first fiesta of the
knowledge society. Evaluate the gaming side.
UN. World Summit on
Information Society, Nov 2005
The possibility of celebrating the
Global Information Society