By: ARJUN LIMBU,
Experienced in water projects in rural parts of Nepal
Things to Consider
• PVC Pipe size: mm
• Pipe Pressure used: 10 atm
• Intake high enough to feed the tank
• Main pipeline to feed a number of branch line
tanks-these will be then header tanks for the
branch line systems (also work as storage
• Purification methods:
• Screening-sedimentation-slow sand filtration
• Start with pilot project
• Self help labor->digging and back fill
• Jointing and laying pipes done to standard
• Aspects require supervision of tech. assistant
Project Leadership and Commitment
• Key is involvement of whole community
• Expert Organization to implement, coordination with local
• ACCURATE AND EASILY INTREPRETED PLANS
• Ensure everyone does share-First Meeting
• -All leaders present
• -Chief asks if people want project (?)
• -Appoint Project committee and their commitment
• -Important is committees, not appointed by gov.
• -It has been realized that community participation is essential.
• -Lines marked out before digging
• -Technical assistant vital link between project and people.
• Community involvement is also a cost
• Expenses of transportation, project materials
should be bear by project.
• 20 % should be contingency costs is
• In monsoon season, the costs goes up.
• I)response to real need
• Community must be involved (planning,
implementation and maintenance)
• Results of involvement and basic importance
• Rural communities ( conflict mgmt)-
conservative and cautious
• Gain confidence through: demonstration,