“We’re seeing a year-on-year decline on
text. We’re seeing a massive increase on
both pictures and video. If I was having a
bet, I would say: video, video, video.”
--Nicole Mendelsohn, VP, Facebook-Europe
“A year or two from now, we think
Facebook will be mostly video.”
-- Ted Zagat, Facebook ad product lead
Why does all video make sense for
• Best ad targeting platform on the social web
• The numbers are through the roof (warning: inflated
• Adding new functionality all the time (Facebook Live,
#3: Instagram will lose its “cool” factor
2010: 1 million users
2012: 30 million users
2013: 200 million users
2015: 400 million users
But, in late 2015, Instagram opened up
ads to all businesses
And now, this is our IG experience…
Is Instagram losing its cool?
• Users visit Instagram for a mental break—
not brand advertising.
• Those brand engagement rates—
they’re about to take a hit.
• More likes. Fewer of the more valuable
• Stick to niches (fashion, food, etc.)
#4: Live social video will lead to deeper brand
Unfortunately, so are brands…
• 59% of top brands tweeted using an emoji in
• 40% of top brands posted on Facebook using
an emoji in Q4 2015
• 775% increase in emoji usage in marketing
• Brands sent 145 million emoji messages in
Why will more leaders start using
• LinkedIn still THE professional social network.
• Little competition—especially among executive suite
• Won’t generate reach of Facebook, but will reach
the RIGHT audience.
• Humanizes executives in a way other
#7: Relying on third-party vendors to
Why will more brands outsource
• Brands don’t have skill set in-house
• Agencies aren’t offering/don’t have skill set
• Content more compelling when created by
#8: More Pinterest. Less Snapchat.
Why NOT Snapchat?
• Few meaningful metrics
• Not super-intuitive for brands
• Hard for brands to do right
Why MORE Pinterest?
• One of better traffic-driving social sites
• Long-tail traffic
• Requires less time/energy to ”maintain”
• More bottom-line results (intent to buy)
9 Social Content Trends
• #1: Less is the new more
• #2: The all-video newsfeed will become a reality
• #3: Instagram will lose its ‘cool factor’
• #4: Live social video will lead to deeper brand
• #5: Emoji heyday is over for brands
• #6: LinkedIn Publishing will help close the widening chasm
between leaders and employees
• #7: Relying on third-party vendors to produce podcasts
• #8: More Pinterest. Less Snapchat.
• #9: Expect more brands to start using 360-degree photos
• BONUS: Feed-stopping interactive content will become
arikhanson.com (sign up for Talking Points)