Is Fair trade fair? Discuss the case for and against the
establishment of fair trade initiatives.
What is Fairtrade?
• Fairtrade is a financial relationship
between producers, sellers, and
consumers based on the principle of
equity within the exchange of goods.
• It is about better price, decent working
condition ,local sustainability and fair
terms of trade for farmers and workers in
the developing world.
Fair trade is mainly based on the nine following principles:
• Create opportunities for economical and socially marginalized
• Develop transparent and accountable relationship.
• Build capacity.
• Promote Fair trade.
• Pay promptly and fairly.
• Support safe and empowering working conditions.
• Ensure the right of children.
• Cultivate environmental stewardship.
• Respect cultural identity.
• Help consumer to be reassured about the
way in which fair trade products are
• Provide best price to both producer and
• Elimination of middle man.
• Put Extra pressure on the big company for
anti competitive practice.
• Using of cheap labour cost by westerns
• U.K still now sometime does not serve the
purpose. Belfair’s management Ltd V
• It is something that gives us an impression
that the trade hold be done equally.
• It comprise both social, economical, and
environment requirements which which
procedures must met to be certified
• This Approach give opportunity to the
grass root producers.
• And consumer rights are protected.
• So, we should well-come this approach.