SPORTS-COM and present THE UPPER CUT A Quiz on SPORTS and GAMES… QM: “Cest la vie” Arif
THE UPPER CUTA Quiz on SPORTS and GAMES… … or the greatest sports trial since THE CHICAGO BLACK SOX TRIAL OF 1921
The Upper Cut A ‘Sport and Games’ Quiz RULES: Anything played anywhere in the universe Never argue with the QM. Come on, be a sport!Or else u would be made the official drinks carrier of Kozhikode Football League! (I would personally ask KVT(pronounced: kaa-vee-tee) to take care of that!) This is a sports and GAMES quiz also! Write your team name and team members’ names legibly QM: ‘Ce’st la vie’ Arif
1.• Innovated by Robert Koch, this punch is used in boxing that usually aims at the opponents chin. It is one of the power punches.• Samuel Elias, also known as "Dutch Sam", is credited with creating this punch .It was reported that "Dutch Sam created havoc with the new blow until a new way was found to block it“• In India this punch is popularly known as Arjun Murthy• What is the name of this punch?
2.The cup that counts!• Simba Toys India had entered into an exclusive alliance with the ICC to manufacture and merchandise X for the first time in India. X is available in various sizes 26inch, 17inch, 10inch and 7inch, priced between ` 299 to ` 2499.• What is X?
Ans• Stumpy, the official mascot of the ICC World Cup 2011
3• X ,an author, was an enthusiastic cricketer and assembled the most extraordinary amateur cricket team ever to have taken the field. Some of the Edwardian England’s most famous authors including Arthur Conan Doyle, A. A. Milne, P. G. Wodehouse, and Jerome K. Jerome, regularly turned out for X’s team from 1890 until 1913, when the team was brought to an end by the First World War.• The team was named Y in the mistaken belief that ‘___’ meant ‘Heaven help us’ in Arabic (rather than ‘____’).
Ans• A golf club• That’s Alan Shepherd playing golf!
5. The greatest quote of all!• “It will be a Killer, And a chiller , And a __X_. When I get the gorilla in _Y__”• Whose words and who was the ‘gorilla’?• ‘X in Y’ is the name of the famous match between these two guys!
Ans• Mohammed Ali on Joe Frazier• Thrilla in Manila
Am in love with this place!6. Where would you find these quotes?
Ans• Wimbledon entrance to Centre Court• Kipling’s ‘If’
7.Trump Card!• X is the highest rank that a wrestler can achieve in sumo wrestling. The name literally means "horizontal rope" .The rope, which can weigh up to 40 pounds, is a Shinto symbol and is worn during the ring entrance (“dohyo-iri”) ceremony of the X, not during the bouts themselves.• The origins of the X rank are clouded in the mists of ancient Japanese history. There are no specific rules for making the rank of X . But the general standard is two consecutive tournament championships as ozeki or one win and two runner-up spots in consecutive tournaments with at least 36 wins
Ans• All were experts in Bridge• Winston Churchill• Deng Xiaoping• Dwight Eisenhower• Buster Keaton• Omar Sharif• Margaret Thatcher
"A Reminiscence of Cricket“ 9.Poet? Whose wicket did he take?• Once in my heyday of cricket, One day I shall ever recall! I captured that glorious wicket, The greatest, the grandest of all• A statue from Thebes or from Knossos, A Hercules shrouded in white, Assyrian bull-like colossus, He stands in his might.• Wicket keep Storer, the knowing, Wary and steady of nerve, Watching it falling and growing Marking the pace and curve. I stood with my two eyes fixed on it, Paralysed, helpless, inert; There was plunk as the gloves shut upon it, And he cuddled it up to his shirt.• Walking he rumbled and grumbled, Scolding himself and not me; One glove was off, and he fumbled, Twisting the other hand free
Ans• In an important World cup quarter final game, Ghana was robbed of victory when Luis Suárez of Uruguay deliberately used both his hands on the game’s final play changing a 100-percent certain Ghana goal into a roughly 75- percent certain Ghana penalty kick. Suárez was red-carded. But FIFA did NOT deem his offense serious enough to suspend him an extra game,• In 1986, Maradona used his right hand to hit the ball into the goal thus robbing England in going to the semi-final,• In 2009, Ireland were robbed of going to WC South Africs 2010, when Thierry Henry steadied the ball with his left hand before kicking the ball into the net and this France went instead of Ireland.• Luis Suárez feels that he has evoked Diego Maradonas infamous goal against England in 1986, declaring "the Hand Of God now belongs to me" after he broke Ghanas hearts and helped his side reach the World Cup semi-finals.
11. What famous feat is depicted by the arrow?
Beamons world record was finally broken in 1991when Mike Powell jumped 8.95 m (29 ft. 4-3/8 in.) at the World Championships in Tokyo
12. What a ‘horror’ name!• Büvös Kocka is the "the worlds most asked-for plaything”.• Douglas R. Hofstadter, an assistant professor of computer science at Indiana University and Pulitzer-prize winning author (Gödel, Escher, Bach), lists __itis magikia as "a severe mental disorder accompanied by itching of the fingertips that can be relieved only by prolonged contact" with Büvös Kocka.• What am I talking about?
14.VideoBen X is a 2007 Belgian drama film about a boywith autism who retreats into the fantasy worldof ArchLord to escape bullying.The films title is a reference to the leet versionof the Dutch phrase "(ik) ben niks", meaning "(I)am nothing".ArchLord is a game belonging to a famous videogame family term. What?
Ans• Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a genre of role-playing video games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual game world.
15.Can you read it properly?• X , the inventor of Y (a famous cricket term) had honed his sleight of hand while playing “Twisti Twosti”, a parlour game whose object was to bounce a tennis ball across a table so that it eluded the player opposite.• One Australian newspaper commented on X: “He is the worst length bowler in England and yet he is the only bowler the Australians fear.”• In Australia, the Y was known as “the wrong un”, a term which – as the cricket historian David Frith has pointed out – was “often applied to felons, divorcées and homosexuals”.
16.Royal Treatment!• The first recorded X tournament was in 600 BC when the Turkomans beat the Persians in a public match• In the mid 19th century an Irishman, Captain John Watson, created the first set of written rules for playing X.• The modern game of X, though formalized and popularized by the British, is derived from the state of Y in India where the game was known as Sagol Kangjei
• “Lazy elegance was never so elegant. Those who didnt see the poetry in this have no aesthetic sense. X looks to furiously pull a Panesar half-tracker. Then, realising hes too cool for such effortful shots, he falls over in slow motion - all grace, mind you - onto the stumps. A less graceful man would have shattered the stumps; X merely dislodged the bails.”--- cricinfo.com
18. Which famous sporting place?• “Its elliptical latticework shell, …, has an intoxicating beauty that lingers in the imagination. In a site for mass gatherings, Herzog and de Meuron have carved out psychological space for the individual, and rethought the relationship between the solitary human and the crowd, the everyday and the heroic. Their aim is to break down what the writer Elias Canetti, in his renowned study of crowds, described as “the closed ring from which nothing can escape.”• It is also inspired by traditional ____ ‘crazed’ pottery.”
Ans• The Bird’s Nest (Beijing’s Olympic stadium)
20. You bet your life!• Stempel’s posture and gestures were awkward, his clothes were too tight—he seemed almost to be choking in his shirt—and his speech was wooden. I remembered Al’s remark that I might have a good chance against him, and then he came right out and said it: “I’ve thought about it, Charlie, and I’ve decided you should be the person to beat Stempel. And I’ll help you do it.” He held up his hand. “I swear to you, no one will ever know. It will be just between you and me. Jack Barry”…“won’t know and Dan Enright won’t, either. Stempel won’t know—I’ve got a way to handle that. The sponsors won’t know—anyway, they’ll be so happy they won’t give a damn. And the audience will never know, because I won’t tell them, and you won’t, either.”• He suggested that I could make at least eight thousand dollars, maybe a good deal more. I was guaranteed a thousand dollars for the first( initiative).
Van Doren (at left) faces Herb Stempel on “Twenty-One,” in 1956, under theeye of the show’s host, Jack Barry. Some fifty million people watched theclimax of their rivalry.
Ans• The Quiz show scandal of the 1950s• Subject of the movie: Quiz show
21.Famous F1 event• Once he had said he would do as they wanted, the three men worked out the details. "They wanted the safety car on lap 14. It actually felt good to agree to do something for the team after all the criticism I had taken. I did not even consider the morality of it." Symonds showed him a map of the circuit and indicated the best place to _____ "because there are no cranes or anything".• "Looking back, it seems like a lifetime ago, but I know I will never fully escape from its shadow," he told the newspaper. "I apologise unreservedly for what I did. I just hope people will understand the pressures I was under. It is no excuse, but I was a deeply unhappy person. I am a stronger man today. If the question was asked again, I am sure I would have the strength to say no."
AnsThe Renault Crashgate (Nelson Piquet Jr. inSingapore 2008)
22• X was offered a position in the German army which was politely declined. Or so the story goes!• Apparently, the Dutch were convinced that he simply couldn’t be that good. So they broke open his ___ in search of a magnet. They didn’t find one.• The Japanese thought his __ might contain glue. That wasn’t it either.• Don Bradman and X once came face to face at Adelaide in 1935. After watching X in action, Don Bradman remarked "He scores _ like runs in cricket"
Livin la Vida Loca 23.Whose words?• “I say a final because for us, because of everything it represented, we were playing a final against __. More than defeating a football team it was defeating a country. Of course, before the match, we said that football had nothing to do with the Malvinas War but we knew a lot of _____ kids had died there, shot down like little birds. This was revenge. It was like recovering a little bit of the Malvinas. In the pre-match interviews we had all said that football and politics shouldn’t be confused, but that was a lie. We did nothing but think about that. Bollocks was it just another match!”
Ans• Joe di Maggio• Marilyn Monroe’s husband• Character in Babe Ruth comics• ”I would like to take the great Joe di Maggiofishing”, the old man said. “They say his fatherwas a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as weare and would understand.”- Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
• Madonna’s vogue lyrics:Vogue, [Vogue]Beautys where you find it [go with the flow]Greta Garbo, and MonroeDietrich and DiMaggio• S n G’s Mrs Robinsonlyrics:Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggioA nation turns its lonely eyes to you(Woo, woo, woo)
28. Parody of a song X by the band Y. Sporting connection of the song X?• Weird al Yankovic Vid
Ans• "Eye of the Tiger" is a song performed by the American band Survivor from the album Eye of the Tiger, released in 1982. It was written at the request of Sylvester Stallone for the film Rocky III, as a replacement for Queens "Another One Bites the Dust" for which Stallone was unable to obtain permission.• Lot of references in the movie.eg:• 00:59:26,560 --> 00:59:28,516• Gotta get that look back, Rock.• 00:59:28,880 --> 00:59:32,031• Eye of the tiger, man.• Eye of the tiger. Come on.• 00:59:32,160 --> 00:59:34,071• Come on, lets go.
29.• “The Chinese read backwards, and it doesnt seem to hurt their eyes. The Czechs make movies backwards, and do all right at the box office. So why shouldnt an American named Dick X win gold and glory at the Olympics —by jumping backwards• With his engineers precision, X tried to name it the "back layout". But one journalist said those early attempts looked more like an "airborne seizure". It was another, kinder, writer, who suggested X resembled a "fish _Y_ping in a boat" and thus, perhaps, immortalised him”• X Y is a famous long jump term.
30. Video• The rural sport of Kambala is a traditional buffalo race held predominantly in the southern coastal Karnataka region.• The Maramadi is an annual festival (known as Maramadi Mahotsavam), held during the post harvest season in the villages of Kerala. It is a bull racing competition• Common English term ___ ___ by which it is known ?
The Bowler’s EpitaphTo Cricket’s shrine I offer’d , day by day.Pace, length and spin, swervers that ‘ran away’;………By Wides, No-balls, by Extra-Covers stout,By l.b.w’s miscalled NOT OUT,One last APPEAL. Let fall a kindred tearO’er Bowler’s dust. A broken heart lies here. R. C. ROBERTSON-GLASGOW La Fin