3. Must-have Soft Skills that employers want
Companies look out for a mix of skills depending on the nature of work they do.
List of the most desirable soft skills that HR heads of various companies look for:
1. Interpersonal skills such as communication (both verbal and written, including e-
mail etiquette), persuasion, presentation, and active listening and learning
2. Good attitude with respect for the job at hand
3. Desire/passion to learn, share and be trained consistently
4. Able to confront reality. If possible, be a specialist in one field and generalist in others
5. Application of knowledge and concise understanding of “how things work”
6. Problem solving/analytical thinking and decision making
7. Honesty, integrity and impeccable ethics
8. Good time management and stress management skills when the pressure to
perform is quite high
9. Flexibility to work with people from diverse backgrounds (team player)
10. Positive approach and a “can do” attitude
3Training and Placement Cell (TPC), HKCET
5. IMPORTANCE OF SPEAKING IN ENGLISH
English – the Global communication language.
Communication tool of the Corporate World.
Increases Placement opportunities.
Increases Onsite opportunities
An Outsourcing / Off-shoring criteria.
Exposure to International diversity.
Increases Individual’s Confidence.
5Training and Placement Cell (TPC), HKCET
6. Methods to Improve English Speaking
• Speak in English - to Teachers, Friends,
Family Members etc.
• Listen on a regular basis English TV /
Radio Channels - BBC, CNN,
Discovery, NDTV etc.
• Read English Newspapers-The HINDU,
The New Indian Express, Times of India,
• Write a summary - thoughts,
6Training and Placement Cell (TPC), HKCET
7. Placement Processes in Companies
Online / Written
Technical & HR Interview Questions
Selection Criteria - Students 10th , 12th & B.Tech. Marks Company Criteria’s –
65 % and/ or above with two or no backlogs (Mostly & Varies with each Company)
Confirmation of Offer
7Training and Placement Cell (TPC), HKCET
8. Verbal Reasoning Example
• A, P, R, X, S and Z are sitting in a row. S and Z are in
the centre. A and P are at the ends. R is sitting to
the left of A. Who is to the right of P ?
A.A B.X C.S D.Z
• Answer: Option B
• The seating arrangement is as follows:
P X S Z R A
• Therefore, right of P is X.
8Training and Placement Cell (TPC), HKCET
12. Group Discussion (GD)
GD is a methodology used by an organization to gauge whether the candidate has
certain personality traits and/or skills that it desires in its members. In this
methodology, the group of candidates is given a topic or a situation, given a
few minutes to think about the same, and then asked to discuss the topic
among themselves for 15-20 minutes and conclude with summary.
Interactive Skills (how good
you are at communication with
Behavior (how open-minded
are you in accepting views
contrary to your own)
Participation (how good an
active speaker you are & your
attention to the discussion)
Contribution (how much
importance do you give to the
group objective as well as your
own) 12Training and Placement Cell (TPC), HKCET
13. DRESSING QUOTE
“The way you dress affects the way you are
perceived, and the way you are perceived, is
the way you are treated.”
- Buck Rodgers
Former VP of Marketing, IBM
Author of The IBM Way
“ Apparel often proclaims a Man”
– William Shakespeare
13Training and Placement Cell (TPC), HKCET
22. During Interview Process
Knock Door and Ask permission before entering “ May I come in Sir / Madam.”
Firm Hand Shake.
Ask “May I take a seat.”
Place Documents & File on your lap.
Introduce “ My name is Rajeev B.Tech. Student from Holy Kings College of
Engg. & Tech.(HKCET), Pampakuda.”
Introduction time maximum 5 minutes.
Focus on your strengths and achievements than on your family or residing area.
Ask questions / Clarifications at the end of Interview.
Thanks for the opportunity and time given.
22Training and Placement Cell (TPC), HKCET
23. FAQ’s Interview
Tell me about Yourself?
What are your career goals, short term, long term? Where do
you want to be in 5 years?
Why do you want to work with us?
What do you consider as your biggest achievements of our
What was one of your failures that affected you the most and
how did you handle it?
What salary do you expect?
Do you want to ask any questions?
What is unique about you, why should we recruit you?
How have you contributed to events organised in your college?
How do you keep yourself updated with what’s happening
What are the websites you frequent? What books do you read?
What’s your favourite pass time and hobbies? 23Training and Placement Cell (TPC), HKCET
25. BOOKS AN ENGG. STUDENT SHOULD BUY FOR APTITUDE
TEST, LANGUAGE IMPROVEMENT AND SOFT SKILLS
• A Modern Approach to Verbal & Non Verbal Reasoning,
Author: By R.S. Aggarwal, Medium: English, Publisher: S
• Soft Skills: Know Yourself & Know the World by K. Alex - S
CHAND & COMPANY-NEW DELHI
• Rapidex English Speaking Course (with Cd): Malayalam –
English, Author: Pustak Mahal Editorial Board
• GKT English by Competition Success Review (CSR) -
(Annual Subscription - 12 issues)
25Training and Placement Cell (TPC), HKCET
26. Prepared & Presented by
Argon David, Placement Officer
Milu Mary G., Faculty - Training & Placement Cell
26Training and Placement Cell (TPC), HKCET