2. TODAY’S DISCUSSION
• Who are you?
o What can people find?
o How are you influencing them?
• Importance of Networking
o Social Networking
o Traditional Networking
• Creative Ideas for Resumes
• Stand Out in a good way
3. RULES OF PERSONAL
• Be precise with your time and focus on
what really matters
• Liars suck, don’t suck
• Don’t steal content; do recreate,
rebrand and reimagine
• Don’t cheat yourself; network everyday
• Don’t be a hater; keep it positive
• Wake up, kick butt, repeat
4. WHERE IS YOUR FOOTPRINT?
• Social Networks (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
• Job Boards
• Aggregators (Indeed, SimplyHired)
• Google, Yahoo, Bing
• Video (YouTube, Vimeo, Vine, Instagram)
• Podcast (BlogTalkRadio.com)
• Blogs (WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr)
• Micro Blogs (IM, Texting)
• Photo’s (Instagram, Flickr)
• Bookmarking (StumbleUpon, Digg)
• Location Based Social (SWARM, Facebook Checkin)
6. CURRENT BRAND
• What is your story?
• Google yourself
• Clean up
• Background check (TalentWise)
• Manage digital reputation
o Google alerts
o Control your name
• Recruiters LOVE twitter, influence them
• Follow and interact with influencers
• Tweet and retweet influencers, brands
• Directories (Twellow)
• Hashtags: #jobs #Atlanta
• What can people see (privacy settings)
• Interact with people close to you
• Search for content (ctrl +F)
• Follow brands & conversations
• Search company job tabs
• Interact with companies
21. What does a termite hill and architecture
have in common?
22. The termite mound uses tunnels to
cool control temperature at an even
The East Gate Centre saves $4
million annually on air conditioning
Think innovatively and creatively;
many things outside your current
scope are possible!
• How do you apply for a job?
• Who is your information going to?
• Find the decision maker:
o Google search for the hiring manager
o LinkedIn search for 2nd and 3rd level
o Search on Social and Branded sites
Thanks @alexputman for
a great session
Make the audience care:
Simba lost his dad, Nemo was lost– people want to feel a connection with you as a recruiter; that’s what makes us a necessity vs. hiding behind your keyboard
Take them with you
Every story has a promise at it’s heart, a journey or adventure; Frodo sets out on a quest – what is your quest? What is your adventure?
Always an inner motivation driving toward an overarching goal – Russell Crowe (Maximus) wanted revenge – what is your inner motivation?
Always changes (1988 I just wanted A/C type job……now have a family….I don’t want my kids to go to a cube everyday…)
Let the audience like you
Remember all of Rocky’s trials? Rudy? Frodo? We like them for what they go through! – There will be everyday trials….be prepared and lean on something (I have my faith)
Delight the audience
When Luke Skywalker destroys the Death Star the audience has a purge of emotions (relief, fear, shock) – people want to see something interesting or funny, show them a lighter side of real people – BE REAL!!