WHAT DOES IT MEANS TO BE PROACTIVE
Being proactive means
Taking conscious control over your life
Working to achieve them
x Reacting to events
X waiting for opportunities
You go out and create your own events and opportunities.
• Being proactive is a learned skill. Being proactive is being
courageous in taking risks.
Learning from one's own mistakes and learning from
the mistakes of others.
• Creating desired results.
• Moving your self forward.
“Doing the best at this moment puts you in the
best place for the next moment.” ~ Oprah
HOW TO BECOME PROACTIVE??
SIGNS OF PROACTIVE PEOPLE
Self-awareness – the understanding that you do have a choice between
stimulus and response. If someone insults you, you can choose not to
become angry. If you are offered a donut, you can choose not to eat
Conscience – the ability to consult your inner compass to decide what
is right for you. You can make decisions based on unchanging
principles, regardless of what is socially favored at the moment.
Creative Imagination – the ability to visualize alternative responses. By
using your imagination, you can mentally generate and evaluate
Independent Will – You have the freedom to choose your own unique
response. You aren’t forced to conform to what others expect from
PROACTIVE OR REACTIVE?
• What’s the difference?
PROACTIVE V.S. REACTIVE LANGUAGE
• I’ll try
I’ do it
• I have to
I choose to
• I can’t
There’s gotta be a way
HOW BEING PROACTIVE PAYS OFF?
• Focus on things they can do something about and
don’t worry about things they can’t
• Always find a way to make it happen
• Take responsibility for their choices
• Think before they act
• Bounce back when something bad happens
• Some examples of reactive [proactive] language:
• Where is the industry going? [Where shall I go
next, and how will I get there?]
• How much money can I expect to make if I do X? [How
much money do I want to make, and what will I do to
• I’ll try it and see what happens. [I'll do it.]
• Nothing really inspires me. [What would I tackle if I
knew I couldn't fail?]
• What is the meaning of life? [What is the meaning I
wish to give to my life?]
WE CAN CONTROL ONLY ONE THING
• We can’t control everything that happens
• We can control how we respond to what
happens to us.