• Definition of Open Source and Proprietary• Advantages and Disadvantages of both• Open Source Products• Deciding if Open Source is for YOU• Resources
• Open source is a number of things. It is a class of licenses, a culture, a community, and a way of producing and sharing software. It is not to be confused with free software, although the two movements share many objectives.• Proprietary software is not normally distributed as source code but as compiled programs so that one cannot see what the code does. It would normally be only supported by the company that manufactured it which can lead to vendor lockin. --Bob Molyneux in his "An Open Source ILS Glossary."
• Can be customized to fit your needs• If you need support, it is available through the community or through a company• Fast development - “release early, release often”• Cost—its free…well, almost.
• What kind of support are you willing to put up with?• Its free but it may not be cheap
• Supported by the company you buy it from• Turnkey• Support and documentation better• Fewer software problems• A successful model
• “Supported by the company you buy it from (can be bad if it is the only option because of potential vendor lockin.)”• “Slow development cycle which may have difficulty balancing the requirements of various users. For instance, what happens if your vendor will not develop something you require?”• “Some vendors have been bought by firms that dont know the industry and support and development have suffered”
• Evergreen http://www.open-ils.org/• Koha http://www.koha.org/• OPALS http://www.mediaflex.net/• OpenBiblio http://obiblio.sourceforge.net/• NewGenLib http://www.verussolutions.biz/• ILS (LA ILS) http://www.learningaccess.org/ils-system/• Dspace http://www.dspace.org/
“But a migration to a new ILS is a complicated undertaking--whether proprietary or open source--and unexpecteddifficulties, such as costs and support issues, can arise.” -- "Open Source Reality Check.“ by David Rapp
• Created with funding from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation by LYRASIS Technology Services to help libraries decide if and which open source software is right for them in service to their patrons.• This site has the content and the community to help you with those decisions.
General InformationOpen Source Initiativehttp://opensource.org/"An Open Source ILS Glossary" by Bob Molyneux http://blog.esilibrary.com/2010/06/23/an-open-source-ils-glossary-html-format/Glossary of Open Source Software and Open Data Standardshttp://www.cospa-project.org/Assets/resources/glossary.pdf
Open Source SoftwareEvergreenhttp://open-ils.org/Evergreen demohttp://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=community_serversKoha sitehttp://www.koha.org/Koha demohttp://koha-community.org/demo/OPALShttp://help.opalsinfo.net/OPALS demohttp://cogent.opalsinfo.net
Additional InformationOpen Source Software in Librarieshttp://foss4lib.org/Decision Support Toolshttp://foss4lib.org/decision-supportCosts of Open Source Software Toolhttp://foss4lib.org/decision-support/costs-of-open-source-softwareFree Webinarhttp://foss4lib.org/content/free-webinars-introducing-foss4lib --Moderated by Peter Murray
SlideShareOpen Source Library Management Software by Ann MariePipkin, Tatum Preston, Kevin Goffhttp://www.slideshare.net/apipkin/open-source-library-management-softwareOpen Source Slide show ( comparison )http://www.slideshare.net/vimal0212/open-source-library-management-systemsIntroduction to FOSS4LIB"Helping Libraries Decide IF and WHICH Open SourceSoftware is Right for Them."http://www.slideshare.net/DataGazetteer/introduction-to-foss4lib
ArticlesBreeding, Marshall. "Agents Of Change." Library Journal 137.6 (2012): 30-36.Academic Search Premier. Web. 10 Apr. 2012.http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=74090077&site=ehost-live.Breeding, Marshall. "Open source ILS continues to expand." Smart LibrariesNewsletter Apr.2011: 2+. General OneFile. Web. 10 Apr. 2012.http://go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA254754450&v=2.1&u=avlr&it=r&p=ITOF&sw=w.Breeding, Marshall. “Perceptions 2011: An International Survey of LibraryAutomation” Library Technology Guides. 28 Jan. 2012. Web. 10 Apr. 2012http://www.librarytechnology.org/perceptions2011.pl.Breeding, Marshall. "The New Frontier. (Cover Story)." Library Journal 136.6 (2011):24-34.Academic Search Premier. Web. 10 Apr. 2012.http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=59800713&site=ehost-live.
Brice, John J. "Open Source Lessons." Library Journal 136.15 (2011): 9. AcademicSearchPremier. Web. 10 Apr. 2012.http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=65806682&site=ehost-live.Devaney, Laura. “ Why Open-source Library software is a Trend.” eSchool News .21st CenturyLibraries,Top News . 10 Apr. 2009. Web. 10 Apr. 2012.http://www.eschoolnews.com/2009/04/10/why-open-source-library-software-is-a-trend/.Emmawat, Patt, et al. “Open Source Library Management System Software: AReview.” WorldAcademy of Science, Engineering and Technology 77 (2011): 973-978. Web. 12 Apr.2012. http://www.waset.org/journals/waset/v77/v77-178.pdfFarkas, Meredith. "Open Source, Open Mind." American Libraries 42.9/10 (2011): 36.Academic Search Premier. Web. 10 Apr. 2012.http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=66630451&site=ehost-live.McDermott, Irene E. "A Small Public Library Goes Open Source." Searcher 20.1
Müller, Tristan. "How To Choose A Free And Open Source Integrated LibrarySystem." OCLC Systems & Services 27.1 (2011): 57-78. Academic Search Premier.Web. 10 Apr. 2012.http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=58488917&site=ehost-live."open source." Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica Online AcademicEdition.Encyclopædia Britannica Inc., 2012. Web. 10 Apr. 2012.http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1017825/open-source ."Open Source ILS Launched In Military Installations." Library Journal 136.14 (2011):21-22.Academic Search Premier. Web. 10 Apr. 2012.http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=65255707&site=ehost-live.Rapp, David. "Open Source Reality Check." Library Journal 136.13 (2011): 34-36.AcademicSearch Premier. Web. 10 Apr. 2012.http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=64501647&site=ehost-live.Reynolds, Veronica. "Who Doesnt Like A Good Bargain?." Eventdv 24.10 (2011):
Yang, Sharon Q., and Melissa A. Hofmann. "The Next Generation Library Catalog: AComparative Study Of The Opacs Of Koha, Evergreen, And Voyager." InformationTechnology & Libraries 29.3 (2010): 141-150. Academic Search Premier. Web. 10Apr. 2012.http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=52871763&site=ehost-live.