• The goal of establishing good relations from a
company, institution or government to
What is International PR?
• In 2008 Edelman won the Best International
Campaign at the Korea Public Relations
• The campaigns push was to bring Kia into the
modern age of the blogosphere in a way that
reached the masses world wide.
Example of an International
• Language Barriers
• Culture differences
Problems Faced With
• A British Exactutive staying at a hotel was
embarrassed because he asked the front desk
for a ‘rubber’ which is an eraser in England.
• ‘Got milk?’ translates to “Are you lactating?”
Language and Culture
• "What common values, principles,
procedures and behaviors must we
create so that we can achieve our
mission?" In practical terms, this
step can result in a set of goals.
1. Identify the common
2. Identify available
• Determine how you can reach the masses in
a common way to achieve the goal keeping in
mind the different cultures you are targeting.
3. Determine tools
suited to goals
• Research the different cultures and possible
problems in communicating.
4. Compare Contrast
• That may mean we will need to help
people develop the skills needed to
fulfil these new expectations. For
example, a manager might need to
learn how to rephrase memos, or
conduct cooperative performance
appraisals so they are consistent
with the desired culture.
5. Plan for Changing
• Know what you need to
communicate, and how you are
going to do it
6. Plan For