2. What is Defrag.NSF+?
• The world’s first Domino-specific database defragmentation
product running natively as a Domino server task.
• A Custom multi-stage defragmentation engine with the ability
to intelligently auto-switch between file and volume level
defragmentation when required.
• Automatic tagging of DB’s for defragging (Selection Method).
• Integrated scheduling and configuration of the DBMT.
• Analyse freespace within DB’s and add internal DB freespace
to help reduce future fragmentation.
• Automated Domino System DB maintenance -> scheduled
compacting, defragging and Domino server restart.
3. What’s file system fragmentation?
• Occurs when storage allocated to a file isn’t contiguous from
the file system’s perspective.
• Non-contiguous files (fragmented files) increase split I/Os,
and increase the I/O processing load on the operating system
• It affects the operating system and is irrelevant of the storage
system, i.e. affects local disk, SANs, NAS, virtual disk, etc.
• Fragmented files significantly affect backup times.
• Contiguous files perform better.
• Defrag.NSF re-aligns files in a contiguous manner even while
Domino is running.
4. Super easy to install
• Supplied and managed as a single Notes Database
• Nothing extra to download
• One click install
• Supports Windows 2008/2012/2016/2019 NTFS file systems
• 32 and 64 bit
7. 2. Smart defragmentation
• Some file defraggers can seriously fragment freespace. This is
not helpful and interferes with DBMTs smooth operation.
8. 2. Smart defragmentation
• Defrag.NSF does a better job, so freespace can be more
useful to DBMT, this helps DBMT perform much better.
9. 2. Smart defragmentation
• If required it can optionally do thorough job!
10. 3. The missing user interface for DBMT
• Defrag.NSF includes a DBMT+ and its scheduler
• No more trial and error of command line settings
11. 4. Defragmentation of Freespace
• Fragmentation of freespace affects how DBMT preallocation
• Picture below shows a typical unmaintained server
12. 4. Defragmentation of Freespace
• The same server, same amount of freespace with Defrag.NSF
scheduled freespace consolidation.
13. 5. Intelligently exclude databases from DBMT
• Extends the functionality of DBMT allowing it to skip
compacting databases that don’t have freespace issues.
14. • A live example of DBMT optimisation set at 10%, providing a
reduction in compact activity of 76%
5. Intelligently exclude databases from DBMT
15. 6. DBMT+
• Provide fine granular control of DBMT's operations, including
databases and directories that should be excluded from
16. 7. Selectively Defrags for best return on effort
• It’s silly to defrag a 50+GB database that is in just a couple of
• Focus on best return on effort, making everything more efficient
17. 8. Easily maintain system databases
• Easily schedule weekly maintenance of system databases
18. 9. High performance defragmentation
• Domino databases can be extremely large so when possible
Defrag.NSF just moves fragments
• An example of a 10GB mail file being defragmented in 65
19. 10. Features that run for Free !
Feature Unlicensed (free) Licensed
A GUI for DBMT including scheduler
DBMT intelligently skips database
DBMT skips recently processed databases
Automatically enable database features like document
compression, attachment compression and design
Automatically enables DAOS on databases
Automatically performs system database maintenance
Pre-allocate free space to prevent fragmentation
Defragments Domino Databases
Consolidate volume free space