An overview of why a digital strategy is important, key approaches to attracting, converting and promoting your business online including SEO, Email Marketing & Social Media. Watch out for the ninja tricks!
Why: because you need to be online65% of people research online before choosing a business supplier
http://martinweigel.org/2013/01/07/saying-no-to-crap-a-resolution/ Study done by the IPA in the UK.Choosing marketing plan objectives is based on some serious thought into your business, its strengths and weaknesses, and competition and market. Then, after you choose your marketing objectives, you're going to come up with strategies and tactics to make those dreams a reality. Objectives cannot not include having 10,000 likes on your Facebook page.Increase the number of new customers by 85 per monthIncrease new customers from referral and word of mouth to be 20% of overall new customers per monthIncrease visibility and memorability of brand identity according to customer surveys
A thought experiment.Pull out that make-up compact you havein your handbag or bottom drawer.Flip it open and look in the mirror.Now ask yourself,Do I know who I am targeting, are they hearing me and how many of them are becoming new customers?If the lovely pretty face in the mirror says,Hmmm’, close the compact and go revisit your strategy.
SEOGood ContentSocial MediaEmail
SEO is like dieting. There is no quick fix. If you want lots of great search traffic it’s an ongoing process. As soon as you stop working on it, you’ll see a difference in the results.
How important is it to be on top?Organic results get 85% of clicksPaid results get 15% of clicks.New research from compete.com in October 2012http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2215868/53-of-Organic-Search-Clicks-Go-to-First-Link-Study
1. Keywords: if you want to boil internet marketing down to a single starting point, keywords are itA keyword is a works or phrase that a person uses to gather information on a topic onlineTake advantage by optimizing your website and social media profiles around keywords relevant to your businessCreate a list of 3-5 keywords relevant to your businessChoose keywords based on difficulty and relevance; general words are very competitive making it difficult to rank for them. SMEs should choose less competitive keywords more specifically related to your business. Comprehensive keyword research will help you save money by improved organic search results and saving on CPCNumber of different tools to determine competitiveness of specific keywords and suggest others to you. Google Keyword Tool. Find a balance between relevance and difficulty.Design and optimize your website around your keywords. Include mentions of them in key places. Images you use, especially on your homepage should include alt test that reflects your keyword strategy.
Organic backlinks will happen if you have great content on your website – blogging helpsPR also helpsYou could also request backlinks
Low Hanging Fruit for SEO: Google Places is a free listing service for your business. It is where you can provide crucial information for people to find you. Add this along side Google Maps and the two become one in the same. Which means that if one of the millions of people who search Google Maps is searching for your business, not only will the Google Map show your location, but because you have filled the information of your business’s details within Google Places, they will also see all of your contact information as well.Google+ business account is immensely helpful with SEO. Claim your Google Place and link your Google + account
Now you have trafficHow do you get customers?
‘Trying to increase sales simply by driving more traffic to a website with a poor customer conversion rate is like trying to keep a leaky bucket full by adding more water instead of plugging the holes.’Bryan Eisenberg of FutureNowConvert website traffic into leadsConvertWhat You Need:Give them something they wantCompelling OffersCalls-to-ActionLanding pages with visitor formsYou need to offer something compelling for them to give you their information.So your content needs to be compelling and offer the potential for giving more on a regular basis i.e. they'll want your email newsletter or you could give them something like an eBook, offer or competition in exchange for their contact details.People are visiting your website, but those visits aren't leading to new customers. What to do?You are still at the top of the sales funnel. You need to convert your website visitors into sales leads. To do this, decide on a compelling offer for your prospects, create a call-to-action to promote your offer and launch a landing page with a form for visitors to submit your information. Finally measure and iterate the whole process.
5. Optimise for Mobile ViewingHow does your website render on a mobile device?More important to have a mobile friendly version of your website than an app.Make sure your contact information is easily accessible.By 2014, more people will access the web via mobile than PC. Still, 46% of mobile users have difficulty interacting with websites. No surprise when content and links are this small …At least 750,000 smartphone owners in Ireland (50% are iPhones)*Most popular among 25-34 year olds (53%)4.8 app downloads per month; social networking apps are the most popularOnline retailers in the UK are losing 30% of potential business by not having a mobile site*AMAS State of the Net Spring 2012
Email: people still go to their inbox first thing in the morningSubject line so important
90% of consumers trust peer recommendationsOnly 14% trust advertisingSingapore Airline owned low cost carrier Scoot are threatening to give up their social media presence just to “see what happensThey have 253,000 likes on Facebook and have run innovative Facebook campaigns like “beat the fare down” promotion which resulted in thousands of people liking the new Scoot fare to Seoul from Singapore.GM pulled all its Facebook advertising last year and Coca Cola are the number one brand with 62 million likes. It admitted recently that this actually drove no direct sales.Facebook uses its complex EdgeRank algorithm to determine which content each user sees in their news feed. Facebook estimates that only 16% of a company's fans will see every post they generate in their news feed. Some companies will obviously have a much higher percentage of engaged fans than others, but it shows that simply publishing content on your Brand Page won't get it seen by 100% of your audience.
David Glynn, Marketing Manager for McWilliam Hotel Claremorris - not a great level of success from Facebook. Awareness medium.Twitter: key journalistsBudget buster offer retweeted by several key journalistspartner with Museum of Country Life
Popularity: social media channels, website, email newsletter, media channelTo be influential a person needs expertise in a specific subject field and an audience who are receptive to their influenceNeed to find a balance between the people who talk the most and people who talk to the most people When you find them, what do you do? Build a relationship with them. Try contacting them offline, ask them to contribute / speak
To fly a plane you need instruments to measure where you are in relation to where you're going. But you need the right instruments.Page ViewsVisitsBounce Rates• Where did people come from?What did they like?How many of them converted to help me achieve my goals?Free tool from Google, just add code to your websiteKey metrics to monitorVisitorsReferrers: where is your content coming from?Top ContentKeywordsWhat keywords are importantIntegrate into website, headlines, blogs etcMeasure your page rankClick Through RatesNow let me explain, if you're tracking these vanity metrics and making business decisions based on them, you're flying blind. And sooner or later you'll crash...
Make your Digital Strategy Work
Want New Customers?
Make your Web Strategy
National Women’s Enterprise Day
16 October 2013
If you want to boil digital
marketing down to a single
KEYWORDS are IT!
Create a list of keywords
relevant to your business
Choose keywords based
on difficulty and
Ninja Trick #1:
Google Keyword Planner
Backlinks: Don’t build
Large % of Google
Rankings driven by off-page
Backlink: a link from
another website to your
website (not a link from
your website to another)
Customer / Partner Links
Get listed in directories
Check your competitors
Trying to increase sales simply by driving more traffic to a
website with a poor customer conversion rate is like
trying to keep a leaky bucket full by adding more water
instead of plugging the holes.
The best websites are often times
Clearly describe what you do and what
visitors should do next. That’s it.
The best websites speak like a
human, not a corporation.
The best websites answer “what can
you do for me?”
Being too clever leads to confusion.
Being clear leads to credibility,
conversation, and conversion.
Find and Groom Your
…the ability to shape thoughts,
perceptions or behaviour
Ninja Trick #4
– Google Alerts: everything on the web to
– Topsy Alerts: social media stuff to your
inbox (great way to follow Twitter without
having a Twitter account).
– Hootsuite: for managing your social media