Citizen Engagement in an Emerging Economy: An Example of Technology Platform in India
Citizen Engagement in an
Emerging Economy: An Example
of Technology Platform in India
Dr Anup Kumar Das
For World Bank MOOC: Engaging Citizens: A Game Changer for Development?
• In this case study I will focus on
MyGov.in portal, which is a Citizen
Engagement Technology Platform of
Government of India.
• The platform gives people the
opportunity to work towards the good
governance through their ideas,
suggestions and grassroots level
Final Takeaways from WB MOOC
1. Citizen Engagement, when done well, is a very powerful vehicle to
create meaningful change and improve development outcomes.
2. Beyond its instrumental value, citizen engagement also holds intrinsic
value and is a cornerstone of political rights and human dignity.
3. Despite the benefits that citizen engagement programs can bring,
there is no template or one-size-fits-all approach that can be applied
4. Strategic citizen engagement programs, which are long-term and
multifaceted, tend to work better than tactical and short-term
5. It is important not to do things just for the sake of doing them.
Instead, we must start with a clear objective.
6. Technology can greatly increase the scalability and reach of citizen
engagement programs, as well as increase efficiency and reduce
participation costs. However, it cannot fundamentally alter the
relationship between governments and citizens on its own.
Thank You for Your Kind Attention.
Photos Courtesy: MyGov.in