What is a Biome?
• Biomes are regions of the world with similar climate
(weather, temperature) animals and plants.
What is a Climate?
• Climate is the type of weather that occurs in an area
over a long period of time.
• Forests are part of two biomes:
– Tropical rain forest.
– Temperate forest.
Tropical Rain Forests
• These forests are very rainy and hot.
• Location: near the equator.
• Some forests get more than 600 cm (240 in.) of
rain each year.
• Temperatures range from about 18ºC to 35ºC,
which is like a hot summer that lasts all year.
• More kinds of plants and animals live in this
biome than in any other.
• Its huge mass of plants produces much of Earth’s
• Location: eastern North America and other places.
• These forests experience four different seasons:
summer, winter, fall (UK: autumn) and spring.
• Temperatures range from a chilly -30ºC to a warm
• Animals: deer, rabbits, skunks, squirrels, and black
• Trees: maple, oak, hickory, and beech (lose leaves
in the Fall).
• Location: central Africa, central U.S, and other
• Grasses cover the land in this biome.
• There are two types of grasslands: prairies and
• Prairies are found in temperate region, such as
the central United States.
• Temperatures: down to -40ºC in winter, and
up to 38ºC in summer.
• Animals: dogs, coyotes, hawks, and grouse.
• They are found in warmer regions, such as
• Temperatures: remain above 18ºC.
• Animals: Elephants, giraffes, lions, and zebras.
• It has a dry season in spite of receiving as
much as 100cm (40 in.) of rain each year
(that’s why there are not many trees).
• It is the driest biome.
• Most deserts receive less than 25cm (10 in.) of
rain each year.
• Plants: Cacti, sagebrush, and other plants.
• Animals and plants are adapted to live with little
• There are a lot of sandy dunes.
Group Presentation II
• In groups of three, make a list of what you know
about the types of living things that are found in
one of the different biomes. (Types of plants,
animals, climate, etc.)
• Go up to the board and share your knowledge.