GRAMMAR & STRUCTURE
Nouns are the words that name people, places, and things in a sentence.
The girl rides bicycle every
• are usually people, places, or things. For example, "John buys his fish at the
• have singular and plural forms. For example, "John and Ingrid ride bikes to
school. Ingrid rides her bike to work as well."
• are the subjects and / or objects of sentences. For example, "Ingrid rides a
mountain bike to work."
• are the objects of prepositions. For example, "I ride a mountain bike to
• can be used as adjectives. For example, "I ride a mountain bike to work."
• can be place names with one or more than one word. For example, "I live on
George Street in Victoria."
GRAMMAR & STRUCTURE —
Sentences using nouns
Teresa drives a red car. Subject noun: Teresa Object noun: car
My mother has a black cat. Subject noun: mother Object noun: cat
Joseph lives in London. Subject noun: Joseph Object noun: London
A pilot flies an airplane. Subject noun: pilot Object noun: airplane
Victoria is a beautiful city. Object noun: city
I ride a mountain bike. Subject noun: I mountain
Object noun: bike
GRAMMAR & STRUCTURE
Answer the following questions to check your knowledge of nouns.
Choose the nouns in the following sentences.
Janet plays basketball and volleyball.
Janet / plays / and
basketball / and / volleyball
Janet / basketball / volleyball
plays / basketball / Janet
The correct answer is "Janet / basketball / volleyball".
1. Sharon received a letter today.
Sharon / received / today
today / letter / received
a / letter / Sharon
Sharon / letter / today
2. Francesca and Fabio live on Grant Street.
Francesca / on / Street
Grant Street / Francesca / Fabio
Street / live / Grant
Francesca / and / Fabio
3. Rosa bought a small house on Saltspring Island.
Saltspring Island / Rosa / house
Rosa / small / house
bought / small / Rosa
Saltspring / house / Rosa
4. Tristan studies for four hours every night.
Tristan / hours / studies
hours / night / for
night / hours / Tristan
studies / for / every
5. Canada is a very large country with a small population.
Canada / country / population
large / country / small
country / small / Canada
very / is / Canada
6. The white cat catches mice in the garden.
garden / white / the
cat / catches / mice
white / cat / mice
cat / garden / mice
7. Matthew buys fresh fruit at the market.
Matthew / fruit / market
Matthew / buys / fruit
market / fruit / fresh
buys / at / the
8. A doctor gives medicine to patients.
doctor / to / a
doctor / gives / medicine
doctor / medicine / patients
doctor / medicine / to
9. Our children swim in the lake during the summer.
swim / our / lake
during / lake / summer
summer / our / lake
summer / children / lake
10 Vancouver has many cafes and bookstores.
many / cafes / has
Vancouver / cafes / bookstores
Vancouver / bookstores / many
bookstores / has / many