3. Culture is one of the most important concepts in social science.
Culture is the way of life of a people. Culture is a delicate reality
which is constantly changing. It is the outcome of learned human
behavior and perceptions.
“Culture is the widening of the mind and of the spirit” -
4. It is the first hand learning of culture and begins from
mother’s womb. It is a life-long process.
Enculturation can be conscious or unconscious, direct
or indirect and formal and informal.
The process of enculturation is related to
5. Acculturation is the second hand learning of
Acculturation is process in which members of
one cultural group adopt the behaviors of
It is the learning process where knowledge is
transferred from one culture to another.
6. The term cultural diffusion was first conceptualized
by Alfred L. Kroeber in his influential paper Stimulus
diffusion, in 1940.
According to him “Cultural diffusion is the spread of
cultural items –such as ideas, styles, religions,
technologies, languages etc. - between individuals,
whether within a single culture or from one culture to
7. Cultural Lag is very common in all societies.
Cultural Lag is associated with the rapid growth and development
of Technological innovations.
The term was first introduced by eminent sociologist William F.
Ogburn in his work Social change with respect to culture and original
nature in 1922.