Apache Solr - 5.0 and beyond
Apache Lucene/Solr PMC Member and Committer
• Anshum Gupta, Apache Lucene/Solr PMC member
and committer, Lucidworks Employee.
• Interested in search and related stuff.
• Apache Lucene since 2006 and Solr since 2010.
• Organizations I am or have been a part of:
Who am I?
• Apache Lucene is a free open source information
retrieval software library
• Originally written in Java by Doug Cutting.
• It is supported by the Apache Software Foundation
and is released under the Apache Software
What is Lucene?
• Solr (pronounced "solar") is an open source
enterprise search platform
• Written in Java,
• For a while now, a part of the Apache Lucene
• Search on Lucene - Replicated (SoLR)
• SolrCloud - Distributed feature set
What is Solr?
Apache Solr is the most widely-used search
solution on the planet.
Solr has tens of thousands of
applications in production.
You use everyday.
Solr is both established
Open Solr jobs and the largest
community of developers.
Apache Solr is also one of the most active open
source projects out there
30 Day Summary
Mar 14 2015 — Apr 13 2015
12 Month Summary
Apr 13 2014 — Apr 13 2015
Annual commits up +126 (9%)
Solr Feature Release
• Search - Full text, Geo-spatial
• Faceting - Values, Ranges, Pivots, etc.
• Suggestor, highlighting, auto-complete
• and of course, Speed and Scalability
• Get started in < 5 minutes
• APIs, and more APIs
• Auto* - Failover, leader election, addition of replica!
• One of the best ofﬁcial documentation, released almost with
Ease of Use
• Thousands of collections - Apple
• Billions of Documents - Box
• High throughput and near real time -
• Impressive indexing performance: 150 k docs/
sec per node
Scalability and Performance