If you are confused about seller rating, stars and reviews then look no further! We've devised a comprehensive guide which outlines what they are and how they can benefit your business. We've also done some research into the different types of third party review service providers available and which ones are the best. For more information please check out our blog; http://www.anicca.co.uk/blog/
How to Guide: Using seller ratings, stars & reviews to improve online conversions final edit
How to Guide:
Using Seller Ratings,
Stars & Reviews to Improve Online
• Introduction to the different types of seller ratings, stars and reviews
• Stars in organic listings (Schema)
• Google reviews (Local listings)
• PPC seller reviews and stars
• 3rd party seller rating services
• Research - 3rd party review service by sector
• Comparison of packages and costs
An Introduction to the
Different Types of
Seller Ratings, Stars
Why are Stars & Reviews Important?
There are many benefits including;
• Improve click through rate (CTR)
65% of online consumers in Europe say that star reviews are
important when choosing a site. (Infas Survey, 2012)
• Improve 'trust' value
European respondents report the lowest levels of trust in all but one
advertising/messaging format—consumer opinions posted online,
which was among the lowest reported at 64 per cent. (Nielsen
Global Trust in Marketing Survey 2012)
• Improve conversion rate
Research shows that conversion rates increase by an average of
23.1% when shops display star reviews. (ECC Survey, 2012)
Nielsen study Reveals That
Consumers Trust Online Reviews
“Consumer Trust” by Media Type
USA, Europe & Global
Ratings in the Search Engine Results
Bottom of page
PPC - Stars
Comparison of the Different
Organic results –
Google reviews & star
PPC ads –
Source Your web page Google+ Local page –
Third party review
How do you get
You use Schema
to mark-up of
Customers can add a
review of your business
(when logged into
(if you qualify)
Where does it
Local organic listing
Main Benefit Increase CTR
Increase CTR and
Increase SEO rankings
Increase CTR and
Strategy to Increase Traffic Volume
• Focus on attracting (primarily new) customers to your site.
• Star ratings are known to help increase click through rate (CTR) therefore will
help increase traffic
• Google reviews - If you are a local service then your Google reviews/stars
may show in:
– The Google + Local listings (associated with the map)
– The Knowledge Graph (panel on the right of the listings)
– Local organic results
• Organic (schema) - Stars in SEO rankings (Schema) – you mark-up your
website and refer to 3rd party results or Google reviews
• PPC - Google will automatically display stars in PPC ads once you qualify, so
invest in a 3rd party service to gain sufficient positive reviews
Strategy to Increase Customer
• Focus on attracting loyal customers and building relationships
• Increase trust and sales by customers choosing products/services with high
• Google reviews on your Google+ Local pages. As this is the best way to
communicate with customers and hear their feedback – as well as using it as
an advertising platform.
• 3rd party reviews associated with your product or service pages - as this will
build trust and encourage engagement/sales
What is Schema & Why is it
What is Schema?
• “Schema mark-up is simply a set of HTML tags known as “schemas” that you
can add to your web pages to give search engines a better idea of what the
page is presenting.” (lucidsitedesigns.com)
• It is a protocol agreed by the 3 main search engines so that webmasters
could give additional information to the search engines - See Schema.org
• There are schemas for a variety of different things including
books, movies, recipes, TV series, images, songs, videos, events, & much more.
• Schema is also known as “structured data” or “rich snippets”
Why is Schema important for your SEO?
• Helps search engines by telling them what you offer your customers.
• It is user-friendly and therefore encourages visitors to click through to your
• Google includes user engagement criteria, such as click through rates and
bounce rates, in its search algorithm; so increased interaction from Schema
can indirectly help rankings
What „Types‟ of
Schema Can You Use?
• Creative works:
CreativeWork, Book, Movie, MusicRecording, Recipe, TVSeries (and
• Embedded non-text objects:
AudioObject, ImageObject, VideoObject
• Health and medical types: notes on the health and medical types
• Place, LocalBusiness, Restaurant ...
• Product, Offer, AggregateOffer
• Review, AggregateRating
For examples see the next slide.
Google+ Local Pages
Setting up your Local Listing
• Google offers businesses free “Local listings” normally associated with the map
• These Listings have had various names over the years (e.g. Business or Places) but these are now
called Google + Local
• Once you have set-up (or adopted a pre-existing) Local listing you can amend it by adding text,
photos and videos
Getting your reviews
• You can also encourage your customers to add their reviews
• This is an easy and free way to get star ratings (using a score out of 5 based on customer reviews)
• It may also help drive customers to the store, as addresses are always displayed.
• Local reviews are believed to help your SEO (if you have more than 5 reviews)
• You do have the right to reply e.g. for unfair negative comments
Local listings and reviews in the search results
• If you search in Google for a brand or store; the local store or office will dominant over the brand
or group results.
• This is due to the “Google Venice update”, which favours local results over national ones (even
when you do not type in the location into the search phrase)
• Local listings are normally shown at the top of the page, so good star reviews may mean greater
clicks than competitors (in the other Local listings and also the organic listings, which are often
• You may also show the rating in your organic results and if you have the “Knowledge Graph”
• Local search results dominate
the brand or group results ,
even though the location was
not typed in (this is due to the
Venice update, which favours
• Google automatically uses
local results in the organic
• You need good ratings to see
the star in the organic results
• The stars make your listing
stand out, it conveys trust and
encourages click throughs.
• Brands need to ensure that
each store has a local listing
with good reviews.
• You can set-up a Google + page in addition to your Google Local
• This is Google‟s social media platform (with elements that are similar
to Facebook and Twitter).
• You can encourage customers to follow you.
• You can post updates which followers will see – they can comment
and share these.
• This includes text, photos and videos posts.
• It‟s a great way to build business-customer relationships
• Helps with SEO as links on Google Plus pages are [follow] links and
these page can build up their own authority
• You are more likely to have a “Knowledge Graph” for your
brand/company name if you have an active Google + account
Separate Google+ Page
PPC Seller Reviews & Stars
• These stars and online seller reviews are given to your products by your
• This allows prospective and returning customers to see at a glance the
impartial 'rating' of a product.
• Google automatically ads these to your PPC ads using the collated data
from the 3rd party review sites .
• You only get stars shown under specific circumstances (see below).
• Stars can help increase the click through rate (CTR) on your ad increasing
traffic and your AdWords Quality Score.
AdWords Review Link – Collated Data
From a Number of Review Sites
When Will Google Show PPC Stars?
• The reviews are from independent or third party services
• Google collates these reviews (based on customer reviews collected
from one or more of these services)
• You must have at least 30 unique reviews, from the past 12 months
• A composite rating of 3.5 stars or higher
• At least 10 reviews must be in the customer‟s Google interface
New AdWords Review Extensions
This is a new feature which Google will be introducing in the near future.
Use positive reviews to help increase click through rates.
• Must provide a direct quote or key point summary.
• Review must be about the company, not a product.
• Recent review – no older than 12 months.
• Need permission from reference source.
• 67 character limit.
What are Third Party Review Service
• Third party seller rating services actively contact your customers on
your behalf to collect their feedback regarding the different
products and services they have received.
• This feedback is posted online and can be displayed alongside your
product or service.
• The information is also used by Google to collate reviews
To help you decide which 3rd party review service you should
consider, we have done a little bit of research to help you with the
• We began by searching for ten different keywords per category.
These categories were computer & consumer goods, travel &
tourism, autos and health & beauty.
• We did this to identify if the industry has a bearing as to what review
source they used.
• We then took the top two review sources, based on the number of
• The results were then collated by identifying the average number of
reviews per review source and site.
• This allowed us to determine:
– the most popular with businesses in that sector
– the highest number of reviews (approximately).
What Does This Tell Us?
From the results we can see that;
• Trustpilot is the most popular review service provider.
• Feefo is not as popular but delivers a high number of reviews.
• Reevoo delivers a high number of reviews but is not very popular.
• Reviewcentre.co.uk is popular but doesn‟t deliver a high volume of
• Shopzilla (uses Bitzrate) delivers an average number of reviews and is
generally quite popular.
Trustpilot Feefo Reevoo1 ReviewCentre.
Shopzilla Ciao UK3
£75.00 £99.00 £499 N/A Free Free CPC
Up to 300
Custom N/A 30 Variable4 Variable4
1- Reevoo is one of the most expensive review service providers and this accounts for
the lack of popularity.
2 - reviewcentre.co.uk is independent and does not offer merchant support.
3 - Ciao is part of the LeGuide Group and is better suited to those looking for
international reviews. You get access to Ciao, Dooyoo, Webmerchand and Choozen.
4 - Depends on the number of transactions
Package: TRUSTPILOT Lite
Recommended Lower Cost Option:
Summary & Recommendations
• Define your objectives, then you can determine the best strategy to achieve
• Two main routes to obtain stars and reviews
– Google reviews
– 3rd party service
• Where the stars or reviews might be displayed
– Google Local Page plus; local listings associated with the map, Knowledge Graph, local organic
– On your website
– In your organic listings (Schema)
– PPC ads (automatically or using review extension)
• Find mechanisms to encourage customers to leave Google reviews (consider
incentives, request reviews etc.)
• Use third party services to increase engagement on your site and to get
“automatic stars” in the PPC ads
• Recommended 3rd party services
– Low budget i.review.co.uk
– Medium budget/most popular = Trustpilot
– Consider industry specific sites such as Tripadvisor
• Google reviews offers the right to reply – if you have negative feedback, deal
with the issue, apologise and explain what you have done to avoid it