website usability evaluation of two top airlines in the Philippines offering online booking inquiries
Website UsabilityEvaluation of TwoTop Airlines in the Philippines offering Online Booking
RATIONALE The growing number of Internet users and theglobalization of technology have led most of themultinational firms to make use corporatewebsites. Not only to communicate but to makeany transactions easy for its variety of customers.Airline companies are no exception to this trend ofmarketing in line with e-commerce, that in dueeffect may be one of the basis to the company’scompetence. A website that is failing may reflect ascompany’s poor performance.
INTRODUCTION• The web is currently being offered as the universal panacea for all users performing any information seeking task. (P.A. Smith 1999).• Usability evaluation finds its beginnings in early research on human-information processing theory (Newell & Simon, 1972; Simon, 1979, 1981) and Human-Computer Interaction (Card, Moran, & Newell, 1983).
• At the heart of usability evaluation is the application of social science research and theories of computer and information technology to the challenge of designing tools that are useful and usable to humans. Understanding humans as technology users necessitates an understanding of humans as audience, where audience is understood in the postmodern sense as actively engaged information producers and consumers (Ryan, 1994).
Two of the most top performing airlinecompanies in the Philippines are offering onlinebooking, specifically the Philippine Airline (PAL)and the Cebu Pacific Airline. Thus, these twoare subject to the scope of the study.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM This study attempts to evaluate the website usability of two top airline companies in the Philippines, specifically the Philippine Airline (PAL) and the Cebu Pacific Airline, that answers the following;1. How satisfactory the websites performance in terms of: * quality of information? * quantity of information?
* dependability of interface? * appearance? * communication? * security? * total customer satisfaction?2.What are the factors that affects the performance of the website?3. What are the recommendations that would improve the performance of the two websites
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY The proponent conduct this study to evaluate the website usability of the two airline company’s online booking. With an effort to prevent and minimize the possible risks and problems that may be encountered by the management and specifically to the valued customers. In that way a much better and systematic process will be improved.
• MANAGEMENT – The management and staff will acquire new ideas from the study and it would somehow help them decide appropriate and necessary changes needed• CUSTOMERS – The study aims to increase productivity by meeting the demands of the customers with better service and quality. By maintaining and keeping customers satisfied, there is a great possibility that they could increase further their market share which will entail higher demand, loyal patrons and leads to the growth of the company.
• USABILITY ANALYST – The study will greatly help the researchers / analysts to prepare themselves for the more sophisticated work in the future. This will also help them to relate the theoretical knowledge acquire in school with the industries real scenario. More specifically, they will be a familiar with assessing usability especially in the field of e-commerce.
METHODOLOGY This study utilizes the descriptive normativeresearch methods with the use of aquestionnaire as a primary instrument for datacollection. Unstructured interviews andobservation of the operation were employed assecondary instruments to verify the datacollected and come up with personaldescriptions and preliminary ideas regardingthe study.
The verified data collected were tabulated, and analyzed and became the basis of expositions regarding the findings of the study.• RESPONDENTS – The respondents of the study are first – time users and common users of online booking for the two airline companies. There will be 5 first – time users and 5 common users for both airline companies
• INSTRUMENTS – The respondents will be asked to perform specified task or in using the websites. This study also utilized the questionnaire as the primary tool for collecting of data. The data gathered from the questionnaire will be polished through conducting interviews for amplification. The questionnaires will be based on Mehlenbacher, et. al Journal release and any other related journals regarding website usability.
TREATMENT OF DATA• The questionnaire will have the following scale and ratings: SCALE RATINGS VERY SATISFACTORY 3.26 - 4.00 SATISFACTORY 2.51 – 3.25 LESS SATISFACTORY 1.76 – 2.50 NEEDS IMPROVEMENT 1.00 – 1.75
• VERY SATISFACTORY – outstanding, consistently exceeds standards• SATISFACTORY – meets expectations, shows potential• LESS SATISFACTORY – Sometimes does not meet requirements• UNSATISFACTORY – Corrective actions are necessary
SET OF TASK1. Take at least two – three minutes to explore the website and get the feel of how it looks and works.2. Book a trip from Cebu to Bacolod.3. Get the cheapest round – ticket from any destination in the Philippines.
QUESTIONNAIRE• STILL IN PROGRESS…..• QUANTITY OF INFORMATION• QUALITY OF INFORMATION• DEPENDABILITY OF INTERFACE• APPEARANCE• COMMUNICATION• SECURITY• TOTAL CUSTOMER SATISFACTION
PRESENTATION OF DATA PHILIPPINE AIRLINES (PAL) ranked 1st with a score of 2, 268 votes while CEBU PACIFIC ranked the 2nd with a score of 520 votes for the Best Airlines of the Philippines SOURCE: www.mytopdozen.com