• Gabrielle Chanel was born on August 19, 1883 in
• The Chanel family did not have money, and they lived
in a poor house on a narrow street.
• When Gabrielle was only 12 her mother died, leaving
her father with five children. He soon left leaving
Gabrielle with two sisters and two brothers.
• Gabrielle and her sisters went to an orphanage and her
brothers went to a farm and became child labors.
• Gabrielle stayed in the orphanage for six years.
• Coco Chanel’s only education was at an
orphanage called Etienne d' Aubazine, this
orphanage only taught 6 days a week.
• She only learned how to become a basic
seamstress at this school. She learned more
technique and style from her family such as
How Coco Chanel first started
Coco Chanels first shop was a hat shop.
• Two wealthy men helped her open this shop.
• Her simple hats became very famous.
• She soon started clothing
Products Chanel sells
– Its products include beauty and skin care products, cosmetics,
eyewear, jewelry, perfumes and deodorants, handbags, shoes,
scarves, ties, and clothing.
Main company workers
• Mrs. Maureen Chiquet who is a Chief
Executive Officer and is 47.
• Mr. Alain Wertheimer is the Co-Owner.
• Mr. Gerard Wertheimer is also a Co-Owner.
• Mr. Arie L. Kopelman is the Vice Chairman and
Chief Operating Officer.
• Mr. Karl Lagerfeld is the Head
Designer he is 72.
Chanel No. 5
• In the 1920s Chanel launched her first
perfume, Chanel No. 5, which was the first to
feature a designer’s name.
• Perfume “is the unseen, unforgettable,
ultimate accessory of fashion. . . . that heralds
your arrival and prolongs your departure,”
Chanel once explains
• Chanel estimates that a bottle us sold
worldwide every 55 seconds.
Chanel’s clothing idea’s
• Coco designed this dress using a jersey fabric--which
• She always used pearls, jewels, and lace to turn an
ordinary item of clothing into an extraordinary piece of
• Chanel later created the women's business suits, which
turned the fashion industry upside down.
• Chanel did something no one else had ever tried to do.
She used men’s clothing and turned it into a unique