Recap: what is a pun?
It is the clever use of a word that
has more than one meaning, or
words that have different
meanings but sound similar.
1. It was the final ten minutes into the
basketball competition. Our coach told
us to give it our best shot.
2. The director told the performer to stop
being on edge and move to the centre of
the stage floor.
16 September 2013 (Day 1)
give it one’s best try
1. The restaurant claims to serve the
tenderest beef steak in the world, but I
find it hard to swallow.
2. The baker hurried to record the recipe
she finally perfected as she has a
memory like a sieve.
17 September 2013 (Day 2)
difficult to believe
bad at remembering things
1. The mischievous child decided to hone
his painting skills using his mother’s
prized vase. When his mother came
home, she only saw red.
2. In his eagerness to preserve the
environment, his calls for environmental
regulations and fines to be imposed on
polluting industries come across as
offensive. He is, after all, very green.
18 September 2013 (Day 3)
become very angry
new and is inexperienced environmental.lilithezine.com
1. He is a skilful and experienced pilot
whose career has really taken off.
2. The powerful crosswind almost sent the
airplane crashing on the runway. The
pilot was praised to the skies for
skilfully manoeuvring the aircraft and
guiding it to a safe landing.
19 September 2013 (Day 4)
starting to be
successful in his career
given much praise for his skilfulness
1. This is the final concert appearance of
the regionally renowned fiddler; his
black hair has turned silvery white but
he is evidently fit as a fiddle!
2. It has been ten years since his coronary
artery bypass surgery; thankfully, my
grandfather has remained hale and
20 September 2013 (Day 5)