2 mark questions:
1. What is Microsoft Excel ? Where do we use it?
It is a program that works with numbers after entering data into a grid of rectangular cells. It is used
to enter numerical data in the form of a worksheet.
2. How can you change the height of a single row manually?
To change the height of the single row, click on the bottom border of the row heading and drag it up
3. What is the prerequisite for a paste command to be used?
The Paste command is used only if some data is cut or copied.
4. What is the use of a Formula bar?
Cell content can be edited in the Formula bar.
5. What is the function of Format command in the Cells group of Home tab?
It can be used for changing row height and column width.
6. Which group of the Home tab has options to insert rows and columns in a worksheet?
The Cells group of the Home tab has options to insert rows and columns in a worksheet.
7. Where should you click in order to select an entire row?
In order to select an entire row, you must click on the Row heading.
8. Which button in the Cells group of the Home tab is used to change the row height for several rows
The Format button in the Cells group of the Home tab is used to change the row height for several
rows at once.
9. What do we mean by Active Cell ?
An active cell is the currently selected cell, which is identified by a thick, black border.
10. How will you select an entire row or an entire column ?
We can select an entire row or column by clicking the row heading or column heading.
11. Write the steps to insert a column after column B.
To insert a column after column B:
1. Place the cursor in column C.
2. Click Insert sheet columns in the drop-down list below Insert in the Cells group.
The selected column is shifted to the right.
12. What is the default row height and column width in Excel ? Write the names of the units too.
The default row height is 12.75 points and the default column width is 8.43 characters.
13. What are the four options of the Delete dialog box ?
The four options in the Delete dialog box are:
Shift cells left, Shift cells up, Entire row, and Entire column.
14. What can you do with the Auto Fill feature of Microsoft Excel ?
The AutoFill feature of Excel allows us to fill a range of cells with data from a series without typing
15. Write the steps to fill a range with the numbers 10,20 … till 100.
To fill a range with a series of numbers 10, 20………………100 do the following:
1. Type the first two values of the series in two adjacent cells.
2. Select the two cells.
3. Click the fill handle in the lower-right corner if the selected cells and drag it to enclose the area
you want to fill.
4. Release the mouse button.
16. How can you edit a cell by overwriting?
To edit a cell by overwriting, select the cell and type the new content. Press ENTER or click the Enter
button on the formula bar.
17. Write the steps to add your own custom list.
The steps to add our own Custom List:
1. Open the Custom Lists dialog box.
2. Type the required list in List entries.
3. Click the Add button.
18. There are two ways to edit the cell's content. What are they?
There are two ways :
i. By overwriting, thus changing the content completely.
ii. By modifying them partially.
19. In order to modify the cell contents partially, what are three methods that you can adopt?
The three methods that you can adopt in order to modify cell contents partially are:
a) by clicking on the Formula bar,
b) by pressing the F2 key or
c) by double-clicking the cell.
20. On clicking Insert Cells, how many options does the Insert dialog box display and what are those
The Insert dialog box displays four options:
a. Shift cells right
b. Shift cells down
c. Entire row
d. Entire column
- 3 -
5 mark questions:
1. List out the steps to copy and paste commands on the Home Tab.
2. Explain the options of the Insert dialog box.
3. List out the steps to delete cells in a worksheet.
4. How do you change the row height and column width in a worksheet ?
5. List out the steps to use AutoFill for a series.
2 mark questions:
1. What does the Accounting Number Format button do in the Number group?
Accounting Number Format button adds a currency symbol to the number.
2. What does the Increase Decimal button do?
It changes the format to show four decimal places.
3. What is the use of Draw Border Grid tool in MS Excel?
The draw border grid tool will draw borders around every cell.
4. What does the Fill Color button do?
It sets the selected color as the background of the selected cells.
5. What is the default alignment of text in a cell?
By default text is left-aligned in a cell.
6. What are the different options for horizontal alignment of data?
The different options for horizontal alignment of data are: Left, Center, and Right.
7. Which option is used to confine the text to the same cell if the text is longer than the width of a
The option 'Wrap Text' is used to confine the text to the same cell if the text is longer than the width
of a cell.
8. Which button should be clicked to add a currency symbol to the number?
To add a currency symbol to a number, the 'Accounting Number Format' button should be clicked
9. In what ways is the formatting feature of Microsoft Excel useful? What does formatting do to the
MS Excel has features to make important entries stand out and to make the worksheet clear and
useful. Formatting changes the appearance of data without affecting the actual cell value.
10. What happens to the pointer when the Draw Border button is clicked in the Borders menu?
The pointer changes to a pencil when Draw Border is clicked.
- 4 -
11. How many types of Orientations are there?
There are five types of orientations: Angle Counterclockwise and Angle Clockwise, Vertical Text, and
Rotate Text Down and Rotate Text Up.
12. What do you mean by the Fill Color property in Excel, and in which group is it present?
With the help of the Fill Color property, we can add a background color to a cell or a group of cells.
The Fill Color option is present in the Font group of the Home tab.
13. List out the steps by which you can display a number in a cell as percentage?
In order to display a number as a percentage, 1) select the cell and 2) click the Percent Style button.
14. In Excel, what are the two ways by which you can increase the font size of text in a cell?
The two ways by which font size can be increased are:
a. By clicking the arrow next to font size, and then selecting the size of the font.
b. By clicking on the Increase Font Size button in the Font group of the Home tab.
15. Name the buttons in the lower row of the Font group in the Home tab.
The buttons in the lower row are Bold, Italic, Underline, Borders, Fill color, and Font color.
16. Differentiate between data alignment and data orientation.
DATA ALIGNMENT DATA ORIENTATION
Data Alignment means the position in which
the data is placed within the boundary of a
Data Orientation is the relative physical
position or direction of the text.
17. What are the default alignments of numeric data and text data ?
By default numbers are always right-aligned and text data is left-aligned.
18. What are the three options for horizontal data alignment in a cell ?
The three options for horizontal data alignment in a cell are Left, Center, or Right.
19. How does Microsoft Excel display long text ?
In Microsoft Excel when text cannot fit in a cell, it spills out into adjacent cells.
20. What does the Merge & Center feature do ?
Merge & Center in the Alignment group is a way of dealing with long text in which it merges
adjacent cells into one large cell.
21. What is the function of the comma style button in the Number group of the Home tab ?
The Comma Style button in the Number group separates the thousands with commas.
5 mark questions:
1. List out the steps to change the font, its size and its color.
2. Write a note on working with long text.
3. How do you add background color to the heading and borders to a table.
- 5 -
I. Choose the correct answer: (20 x 1 = 20)
II. Fill in the blanks : (10 x 1 = 10)
III. True/False : (10 x 1 = 10)
IV. Answer in One Word : (10 x 1 = 10)
V. 2 mark questions : (15 x 2 = 30)
VI. 5 mark questions : (4 x 5 = 20)
Marks : 100
Time : 2 Hrs.