The global front desk
Leveraging the power of social media before,
during and beyond a simple room night
Andrew Grill - Great Hotels of the World Organisation Annual Conference
London, November 2010
Social media is just like real life!
Marketing sets the expectation, marketing
creates demand, marketing helps a
consumer differentiate why one choice is
better than another.
Any gap between the two drives a
conversation on the social Web.
Dave Evans http://lc.tl/gap
Why social media?
• Two way medium
• Instant feedback
• Promotes sharing of ideas and information
• Complements everything you are currently doing
• Relatively simple to establish a presence
• Your competitors are already doing it
Things to consider
• Social media is noisy
• Social media is demanding
• Social media is unforgiving
• Social media is not a replacement for marketing
• Social media is the best word of mouth you cannot buy
• Social media helps extend your message before, during &
after a room night
• Use social media before a guest considers a stay
• Promote property offers and events & things in the area
• Find others that talk about your particular niche
• Publish property photos on more sites than just your own
• Encourage previous guests to recommend via social media
• Provide an additional channel for questions
• Ask your guest’s permission to store their twitter name
• @name thank them for staying publicly – they will return the
• Offer an incentive to promote your property
• Make it easy for guests to promote/share/like your property
• Watch for their tweets – they may be talking to you!
Promote your own & local events
One to watch - Foursquare
When do people visit my property?
What should I do next?
• Claim your brand on twitter & Facebook
• Identify who is going to monitor and maintain
• Arm the team with tools to contribute also
• Put our social media credentials on your web front door
• Grab a short URL version of your brand
• Start tweeting and following
• Leverage your property presence on social media
Monitor social media
Contact via http://lc.tl/c
+44 788 198 6694