Andrea L. Watson Page 1
Andrea L. Watson, CPC, CPMA, CPC-I
2211 Lake Wind Drive
Houston, Texas 77584
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS:
• AAPC Certified Professional Coder (CPC) and Certified Professional Instructor (CPC-I). Certified
Professional Medical Auditor (CPMA). 15 years of comprehensive medical billing experience in
both a hospital and private practice environment, including charge and payment posting,
insurance verification and follow-up, claims and statement processing, and month-end reporting.
• Knowledge of insurance rules and regulations including those of Medicare, Medicaid, Workman’s
Comp, and commercial carriers. Compiled and presented information for in-person Medicare
• 18 years of overall health care experience with duties including front desk reception, patient
admission and checkout, bed control, and medical assisting.
• Proficient with standard business and industry software, including Microsoft Windows, Office
Suite, and Internet Explorer, Epic, Gateway EDI / PMG software, McKesson Practice Point
Manager, Medic, Greenway, IDX, CodeRyte, Clinicstation and Medaptus, McKesson, Allscripts,
GE Centricity Business, Care4.
• Energetic and results-oriented professional with excellent interpersonal and customer service
UT Physicians- Houston, TX
Clinical Coding Specialist OB-GYN, 09/02/14 to present
• Code Obstetrics and Gynecology procedures for office visits and outpatient or inpatient
• Responsible for clearing coding edits from claims system.
• Various surgical coding for OB, GYN, UROLOGY and ONCOLOGY.
MD Anderson –Houston, TX
Sr. Clinical Coding Specialist, 06/2014 to 09/2014
• Code diagnostic testing and laboratory testing.
• Code various surgical procedures, mastectomy, vascular access lines, biopsies, and
various other surgical cases using CPT and ICD 9 and ICD 10 diagnosis codes.
CIGNA – HEALTHSPRING, Houston, TX
Medical Records Coder, 9/2013 – 06/2014
• Reviewing of patient charts to ensure the completion of documentation.
• Coding for reimbursement, research, and regulatory compliance.
• Submission of completed chart to the appropriate vendor / client.
NORTHWEST DIAGNOSTIC CLINIC, Houston, TX
Senior Coding and Compliance Specialist, 10/2011 – 8/2013
• Coding Specialist for a multi-specialty practice.
• Assigning the proper ICD-9 and CPT codes to daily encounters.
• Auditing and physician training and education.
Andrea L. Watson Page 2
• Staff education.
CARDIONEXUS CORPORATION, Houston, TX
Billing Consultant (contract), 6/2011 – 01/2012
• Coding consultant for Panasonic-Japan division as well as the North American division.
• Write appeal letters to insurance companies on behalf of providers to get mandatory coverage of
HB1290 law (mandates coverage of cardiovascular screening).
• Help with lobbying for insurance companies to change policies to pay for mandatory law.
CLEAR LAKE ER, Houston, TX
Coding / Billing Manager, Credentialing Director, 4/2010 – 6/2011
• Coding, billing, and follow-up for emergency room physicians and facility charges.
• Maintained physicians’ credentialing files, contracts with insurance companies, and all other
aspects of billing, coding, and credentialing.
• Managed daily activities associated with the Billing Office.
THE METHODIST HEALTH SYSTEM, Houston, TX
Medical Coding Specialist / Auditor, 8/2008 – 6/2010
• Lead coding and billing for the Department of Urology, Methodist Eye Associates, and Physical
Medicine and Rehab.
• Audited the medical records for 22 different practices within the Methodist Physician’s
• Resolution of billing and compliance issues from various sources.
• Worked closely with the Compliance Department on practice education and regulations.
CHILDREN OF THE KING’S DAUGHTERS HEALTH SYSTEM, Norfolk, VA
Physician Billing Representative 2, 5/2006 – 7/2008
• Daily charge posting for 7 surgical specialty groups, including Pediatric Surgery, Neurosurgery,
Urology, Plastic Surgery, Cardiac Surgery, Anesthesia, and Orthopedics and Sports Medicine.
• Processing of insurance claims and patient statements, reviewing, voiding, and re-key of all
charge entry errors.
• Insurance coding, follow-up, and payment posting.
• Maintained claims clearinghouse information.
• Communicated with the Information Systems Department on issues involving the scanning of
• Prepared month-end reports for directors and practice managers.
• Training of all new-hires for charge entry.
• Successfully reduced charge lag days from 10 to 3 days.
• Instrumental in the planning and setup of the current scanning process for charge tickets.
COMPLETE WOMEN’S CARE, Virginia Beach, VA
Billing Representative, 5/2005 – 5/2006
• Payment and charge posting, follow-up, patient statements, paper claims, month-end reports,
surgery posting, and patient liaison for a practice of nine physicians.
ATLANTIC FOOT AND ANKLE CENTER, Virginia Beach, VA
Lead Billing Representative, 10/2001 – 5/2005
• Supervised the Billing Department in a four physician practice, including charge and payment
posting, coding, insurance verification, collections, and workman’s comp accounts.
• Compiled and presented relevant information for in-person hearings with Medicare and
Andrea L. Watson Page 3
• Worked with vendors to resolve Information Technology-related issues.
• Front desk relief, medical assistant, and check-out as needed.
CHESAPEAKE GENERAL HOSPITAL, Chesapeake, VA
Patient Services Representative, 2/2001 – 7/2001
• ER registration, insurance verification, and collection of co-payments.
FAMILY MEDICAL PC OF MOBILE, Mobile, AL
Insurance Clerk, 2/1999 – 7/2000
• Payment posting and follow-up of all commercial insurance carriers.
PRIME HEALTH C/O CLARK PERSONNEL SERVICES, Mobile, AL
Financial Assistant, 8/1998 – 2/1999
• Posting of accounts receivable, collections, and claims processing and follow-up.
TIDEWATER COMMUNITY COLLEGE, Virginia Beach, VA
• Pursued coursework towards an A.S., Science degree.
Other relevant coursework:
AAPC ICD-10 2-day Boot Camp, Dallas, TX, 11/2012