Submitted by:-Anay N KachariaT.Y. Btech. – Oils
..We need to take a look at a Bottle of Crude OilWHAT‘S IN THE OIL? METALS WAXES GUMS ANTI-OXIDANTS ... And There are FATTY ACIDSS UNWANTEDNUTRIENTS.. OIL PRODUCTS! COLOUR STABILISERS VITAMINS PEROXIDES LIPIDS TOCOPHEROLS SOAPS ODOURSJL Confidential
• What is bleaching ?• Why is bleaching really done ?
• It is based on ADSORBTION• it is Represented by an equation developedby a great scientist Freundlich log(x/m) = logK + nlogc• Process will continue till Thermodynamicequilibrium is reached
• Temperature should be maintained between 90-110 degree Celsius.• Contact Period of 20 – 30 min.• Bleaching is performed under reduced pressure• Type and amount of bleaching Agent highly influence the process parameters .
• Continuous process : Crude Oil Inlet 1: Continuous bleacher B: Oil-Earth suspension to be filtered 2: Earth tank C: Bleached oil inlet 3: Earth dosing unit D: Bleached oil outlet 4: Mixer E: Water Inlet 5: Earth-oil pump F: Steam Inlet 6: Heat Exchanger 7;Cooling unit 8;Condenser; 9;pump
• Fuller’s Earth- • It is a natural clay which is very adsorbtive • Mainly consists of minerals that belong to the aluminium silicate family • Main component is bentonite
• For most bentonites necessary surface area and pores need to be created• Activation is done with acid• Main component of bentonite is montmorillonite
• Acid activated Bleaching Earth- • Its Catalytic property is self explained by the acid status. • Its maximum importance comes with its property of degradation of peroxide • Results in the formation of trans fatty acids
• Activated Carbon -•Can be derived from a variety of coal• Contain micropores, mesopores & macropores• It has a large adsorbent surface in a relatively small volume.
A closer look at Bleaching VACUUM VACUUM BE 1,4% TRISYL 0,1% BE 0,8% Bleaching Vessel full SO (eg: Palm Oil) WHAT? 100°C 100°C THATS WHAT!FROM REFINERY To DEO FROM REFINERY To DEO FILTER FILTER BLEACHER BLEACHER 40% Oil/60%BE For a 200Kmt refinery, this Using TriSyl with BE will save $330K . . Just by tweaking . . will result in ~$840K oil loss! BASED ON Adsorbent SJL Confidential ACTUAL CASE Combinations!