• Media planning
• Components of a media plan
• Steps in developing the media plan
• Challenges of media plan
• Problems in media plan
The word Media came from the Latin word "Middle". Media carry
message to or from a targeted audience and can add meaning to the
…can be defined as the BEST and EFFECTIVE means of
REACHING out and communicating to the prospective
CONSUMERS or TARGET AUDIENCE of the brand
Media Planning – a plan of action to communicate a message to
the right people, at the right time, and the right frequency
The goal of a media plan is to be efficient: to gain maximum
exposure at minimum cost
The purpose of media planning is to conceive, analyse, and
creatively select channels of communication that will direct
advertising messages to the right people in the right place at the
The Media Plan
• Media Plan – a document that outlines the relevant
details about how a client’s budget will be spent
…is the target market?
…is the message?
…is the best time to advertise?
…many, often, long?
…are the priorities?
• Media Strategy – a plan for achieving media objectives to reach the
target audience as effectively and efficiently as possible
• Limited financial resources
• Demands for accountability
• Should address:
How often to advertise
How long to advertise
Where to advertise
What media to use
• Media Execution – translating media strategies into
specific media action plans
• Look at cost efficiencies
• Develop a schedule
• Allocate budget
The components of a media
Steps in Developing the Media Plan
media objectivesMarket analysis
• Every media plan begins with the market analysis or environmental analysis.
• Review of internal and external factors
• At this stage media planner try to identify answers of the following questions:
Who is the target audience?
What internal and external factors may influence the media plan?
Where and when to focus the advertising efforts?
The target audience can be classified in terms of age, sex, income, occupation,
and other variables. The classification of target audience helps media planner to
understand the media consumption habit, and accordingly choose the most
Establishing Media Objective
Media objectives describes what you want the media plan to accomplish.
There are five key media objectives that a advertiser or media planner has
Media strategy development
• Media Mix
• Target Market
Reach and frequency
Implementation of Media Plan
The implementation of media plan requires media buying.
Media Buying refers to buying time and space in the
selected media. Following are the steps in media buying:
Collection of information
Selection of Media/Media Mix
Issuing Ad - copy to media
Monitoring performance of Media
Evaluation and Follow-up
Two factors for evaluation of media plan:
How successful were the strategies in achieving media
Was the media plan successful in accomplishing advertising
Successful strategies help build confidence and serve as
reference for developing media strategies in future, and failure is
thoroughly analysed to avoid mistakes in future.
Activities involved in developing the
Challenges of Media Planning
• More competitors
• Rising costs
• Media complexity
• Greater audience fragmentation
• More media options
Problems in Media Planning
• Insufficient information
• Inconsistent terminologies
• Times pressures
• Difficulty measuring effectiveness
• Finding the best way to give the message to the
target market. “Best” means largest part of
market at best price and in best media
environment for the message
• Involves the process of designing a scheduling
plan that shows how advertising time and space
will contribute to the achievement of marketing
• Media Planning = Selection + Scheduling
• Advertising and promotion an integrated marketing
By- George E. Belch & Michael
Page no.-301 to 347
• Advertising Management
By- Jaishree jethwani & Shruti Jain