1. “I have something to show you”, I said to her.
1. I said to her that I had nothing to show her.
2. “Nothing grows in my garden. It never gets any
sun”, she said.
1. She said that nothing grew in her garden and that it
never got any sun.
3. “I’m going away tomorrow, mother”, he said.
1. He told his mother that he was going away the following
4. “What happened to Mr Budd?”, said one of the men.
1. One of the men asked what had happened to Mr Budd.
5. “What platform does the train leave from?”, asked
1. Bill asked what platform the train left from.
6. “Have you got a work permit?”, Bill wanted to
6. Bill wanted to know if I had a work permit.
7. “Do you want to buy any second-hand
books?”, said Bill
6. Bill asked if I wanted to buy any second-hand books.
8. “Switch off the television”, he said to her.
6. He told her to switch off the television.
9. “Don’t believe everything you hear”, he warned
6. He warned me not to believe everything I heard.
10.“Did you play for your school team?”, said Bill.
6. Bill asked if I had played for my school team.
11. “I’ve been in London for a month, but so far I
haven’t had time to visit the Tower”, said
11. Ruppert said that he had been in London for a month
but so far he hadn’t had time to visit the tower.
12.“Please, fill up this form”, the secretary said.
11. The secretary begged me to fill up that form.
13.“”Shut the door, Tom”, she said.
11. She told Tom to shut the door.
14.“Who is going to live in the big
house?”, enquired he.
11. He enquired who was going to live in the big house.
15. “It isn’t so foggy today as it was yesterday”, I
15. I remarked that it wasn’t so foggy that day as it had been
the day before.
16. “We have a lift but very often it doesn’t work”, they
15. They said that they had a lift but that very often it didn’t
17. “Lend me your pen for a moment”, I said to Mary.
15. I asked Mary to lend me her pen for a moment.
18. “What about having a party on Saturday?”,Ann said.
15. Ann suggested having a party on Saturday.
19. “I’ve no idea what time is but I’ll dial 8081 to find
out”, said his daughter.
15. His daughter said that she had no idea what time was but
that she would dial 8081 to find out.
20.She replied, “I’ll come with you as soon as I am
20. She replied she would come with me as soon as she
21.“I have a German lesson this afternoon and I
haven’t done my homework yet”, said the small
20. The small boy said that he had a German lesson that
afternoon and that ht hadn’t done his homework
22.“Which team has won?”, asked Ann
20. Ann asked which team had won.
23.“When was the timetable changed?”, I asked.
20. I asked when the timetable had changed.
24. “If you let the iron get to hot, you will scorch your
clothes”, I warned her.
24. I warned her that if she let the iron get hot she would
scorch her clothes.
25. Bill asked, “Does this train stop at York?
24. Bill asked if that train stopped at York.
26. “How long have you been here?”, said Ann.
24. Ann asked how long I had been there
27. “Are there smoking compartments?”, said the man
with the pipe.
24. The man with the pipe wanted to know if there were
28. “Let’s have a rest”, said Tom.
24. Tom suggested having a rest.
25. Tom suggested that we have a rest.
29.“Could you translate this for me, please?”, I
asked the official
29. The official asked/begged me if I could translate that
30.“The mirror is there so that you can see yourself
when you are dancing”, the instructress told
29. The instructress told him that the mirror was there
so that he could see himself when he was dancing.
31.“I wrote to him the day before yesterday. I
wonder why he hasn’t rung up”, she said.
29. She said that she had written to him two days before
and that she wondered why he hadn’t rung up.
32. “You must see this exhibition”, said all my friends.
32. All my friends said that I had to see that
33. “Don’t make too much noise, children”, he said.
32. He told the children no to make too much noise.
34. “Why don’t we make a list of guests for the
party?”, said Mary.
32. Marry suggested making a list of guests for the
33. Mary suggested that we make a list of guests for
Put the following into direct speech:
1. He asked me if I knew the manager.
1. “Do you know the manager?”, he asked
2. She asked me if I liked her new house.
“Do you like my new house?”, she asked me
3. She asked the driver to give her a lift.
“Give me a lift”, she asked the driver.
4. Helen said that she would give up trying.
“I’ll give up trying”, Helen said
5. George said he would do his best.
“I’ll do my best”, George said.
6. She asked him if he had worked before.
She asked, “Have you worked before?”
7. They asked me if I could type.
“Can you type?”, they asked me
8. We asked the neighbours to turn the music
“Turn the music down”, we asked the neighbours.
9. He said he would answer the phone for me.
He said, “I’ll answer the phone for you”.
10. She said she had printed that report 3 times.
She said, “I’ve printed this report three times”
11. The manager said he would give us a rise.
“I’ll give you a rise”, the manager said
12. They said they would give up smoking.
They said, “We will give up smoking”
13. He told the employees to arrive earlier.
“Arrive earlier!”; he told the employees.
14. She told me to write more clearly.
She told me, “Write more clearly”.
15. They said they had already visited the
“We have already visited the exhibition”, they
16. He said he liked our products very much.
“I like your products very much”, he said
17. He told me to write the memo immediately.
“Write the memo immediately”, he told me
18. He said he would fill in an application form.
“I’ll fill in an application form”, he said.
19. Helen told me to read all the reports.
Helen told me, “Read all the reports”.
20. He asked me if I could write a business letter.
“Can you write a business letter?”, he asked